Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a few rides, where it would be great to communicate some things to the person I am with..or even groups, mostly just one person though.

What are some good in helmet bluetooth/two way radio/communication devices?

I don't mind if we have to make a call and leave it open, or direct bluetooth to bluetooth, or even two way radio.

I have an icon alliance helmet, he has a bell vortex

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do those work? I mean, are they helmet specific?

Why not just get this : Sena SMH5

It's a bit cheaper and the same functionality?

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
How do those work? I mean, are they helmet specific?

Why not just get this : Sena SMH5

It's a bit cheaper and the same functionality?
Sena SMH5 is a great unit, and will do what you need. I use a Sena SMH10. No problems taking/making calls, or streaming music

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree. The SMH10 is awesome. Great for making and receiving phone calls as well as streaming music. They are very reasonably priced as well. Go check out Revzilla. They have a lot of useful reviews.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Check out BT interphone. $85 for a 2 headsets and Bluetooth receivers. Me and my fiance have them and they are great! The sound quality is great, the battery life is phenomenal, you can receive calls ad be heard well up to 70 mph.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-BT-500M-interphone-Bluetooth-Motorbike-Motorcycle-helmet-intercom-Skiing-/300730421030

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Do you have to worry about rain with those devices? I looked at the scala and it looks like it hangs off the outside of the helmet and I manage to get caught in the rain quite a lot. I would hate to spring for one of these bluetooths and then be paranoid to leave the house if there is a cloud in the sky :)

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
My wife and I have the G9 and they are great. Definitely pricey but I think it is worth it. The helmet to helmet communication, the phone calls, the radio, the music streaming are all amazing and work flawlessly. You can plug the unit into your computer and modify all of your settings as well as set your radio presets. Plus, they have an online community so that you can connect to friends and other riders in the area. You can talk to up to 8 other riders if they have the headset and it will connect to older models like the Q2. There really isnt anything for me to complain about with these.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use the Scala G4 and it s great listening to music making and receiving calls they all work very well very happy with the choice i made

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
My gf and I have the older Scala G2. It's fine for bike-to-bike communication. Using it with a phone is just okay. It does not have A2DP, so streaming music requires a cord.

We tried the BT Interphone before that, and ditched it for the Scala. Other than having A2DP, the Scala performs better.

The Scala is sealed against the weather. The charging outlet has a rubber plug that has to be pushed in for the unit to be water-resistant; don't forget to seal that up before a ride. We've used ours in the rain several times without any problems.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
The Sena is sealed. Just keep the rubber boot that fits over the charging port sealed and you're good in any weather.
I started with a cheaper Chinese unit like the BT'a, and while it worked ok, it acted funny at times requiring repairing.
Also, the SMH10 can be connected online via USB and received software upgrades crom Sena.

·
MOTORADOR
10,955 Posts
I modified my Scala G2 PRO set to be able to connect ear buds.

I LOVE IT NOW!

The communication with my wife is great and I can be listening to my music and receive phone calls at the same time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ihave been using the Sena SMH10 for a few weeks now and it is awesome. I had to buy the optional earbud clamo on as my Bell Star helmet has too much wind noise at speed for me to use the stock in helmet speakers. So I bought the ME6 noise isolating earbuds off amazon and I plug them into the headphone jack of the Sena and I am good to go. I jsut used it on a pretty long ride this weekend to stream music from my EVO 4G and it worked out great I love the ability to change volume and skip songs and the controls work great even with gloves.

·
...is no fun!
2,764 Posts
It looks like the Sena main unit is the only thing you need to take off the helmet to charge/update/whatever. Is that accurate? You can leave the headphones and mic on the helmet? Installing/removing was one of the annoyances with my older Scala.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It looks like the Sena main unit is the only thing you need to take off the helmet to charge/update/whatever. Is that accurate? You can leave the headphones and mic on the helmet? Installing/removing was one of the annoyances with my older Scala.
Correct. The main part that has the jog dial comes off. You can charge it on or off the helmet.

Sena's have been great for us, and I love how easy they are to operate. I have zero patience these days, lol, and found the set-up on the Sena's to be very intuitive. The continuous product upgrades via firmware updates is a great feature too!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The Scala is sealed against the weather. The charging outlet has a rubber plug that has to be pushed in for the unit to be water-resistant; don't forget to seal that up before a ride. We've used ours in the rain several times without any problems.
Awesome! Thanks for the info, that was the breaking point for me on if I was going to get them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts