Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum but any help would be appreciated. Picked up a salvage 06 1000s for $2500 thinking it would be a good deal. Has 7500 miles on it and needs complete plastics + tank. Missed my 03. Changed the oil and the coolant. Thought it would be a good idea. When I bought it, I started it up and noticed minor smoke coming out of the exhaust but figured it had not been started for a while or had old gas in it. Now, when I start it, the smoke gets gradually worse till its really bad. Would that be because the thermostat eventually opens and lets collant into the engine? The warmer it gets the worse it gets, then it seems to subside a bit. Also, the smoke only comes out the right pipe and looks more white than blue. Both pipes join under the bike at the muffler so it seems that it should smoke out both pipes. Exhaust is stock. I also noticed that the left side pipe does not get nearly as warm as the right. Can't really tell if the oil is milky because it is new, and also don't want to run it too long. Any suggestions? Sell it? Fix it? Any way to tell for sure if coolant is burning?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sounds like it may have frozen. If someone let it sit outside over the winter with water or water wetter in it you could have major problems. Just sayin'......

Who knows.....you could get lucky. But I know how it would go for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, it had actual coolant in it. Is replacing a head gasket something I want to do? Would a salvage motor be smarter? What else could have been harmed by this problem. Don't think its been run much.

·
Vendor
966 Posts
No, it had actual coolant in it. Is replacing a head gasket something I want to do? Would a salvage motor be smarter? What else could have been harmed by this problem. Don't think its been run much.
What else could've been harmed? Depends on why the gasket blew. I'd venture a guess to say not much unless there's some catastrophic problem (Cracked piston, etc)

Realistically, I'd replace both head gaskets and ride it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the motor comes out? I do like a project! Just don't want to put more money into the bike than its worth. Could'nt be much harder than the 72' honda 350 I rebuilt over the winter!

·
Vendor
966 Posts
So the motor comes out? I do like a project! Just don't want to put more money into the bike than its worth. Could'nt be much harder than the 72' honda 350 I rebuilt over the winter!
Hmm, I dunno if the motor comes out on the 1000 for a head gasket. More than it's worth? Dunno, 2500 is a pretty good starting point.

CB350? DO TELL! How much did you have to do? Pics?

My wife and I just picked up a '71 CB350 in BEAUTIFUL shape from the 2nd owner who had it since '72!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is an SL 350. Candy panther green. Not as nice as yours. I don't ride it enough. Been neglected lately. Could my problem really br as simple as the head gasket? Just checked out bike bandit. 20.00 part, does not look all that complicated to fix, especially if the motor stays in. I feel better already.

·
Vendor
966 Posts
Mine is an SL 350. Candy panther green. Not as nice as yours. I don't ride it enough. Been neglected lately. Could my problem really br as simple as the head gasket? Just checked out bike bandit. 20.00 part, does not look all that complicated to fix, especially if the motor stays in. I feel better already.

Neat on the SL!

Not too bad, $20?

I think it really could be a simple as a head gasket. Could be as bad as a cracked piston, too.

Know anyone w/ a bore scope?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Umm, I think I do. Check for a cracked piston then huh? I'll find out at work in the morning if I can get one. So does anyone know if the motor comes out? Guess I better invest in a manual.

·
Vendor
966 Posts
Umm, I think I do. Check for a cracked piston then huh? I'll find out at work in the morning if I can get one. So does anyone know if the motor comes out? Guess I better invest in a manual.
Well, a cracked piston would have similar symptoms, but you'd probably see more oil smoke. My point is that you should probably not count on it JUST being a head gasket until you get it apart. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, finally, a month later, had time to mess with it. The right muffler was full of water. Poured it out and rode the hell out of it. Had to make it a sreetfighter for now. Still looking for an upper cowling at a descent price. I had forgotton how much fun these bikes are. Wow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.