Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 SV650A
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I'm new to riding and recently purchased a 2012 SV650 ABS as my first bike. I also recently installed a Yoshimura Street Alpha slip-on muffler, and since then I've been hearing some popping sounds while decelerating. I was told to try find an aftermarket "block off plate kit" as the popping sound maybe due to a secondary air injection system installed by the manufacturer to pass EPA emissions tests. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with popping sounds from the exhaust and if getting a block of kit is the proper solution? If so, which kit would you suggest I purchase?

Thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hi and welcome. Don't worry about the pooping, it's normal with an aftermarket can and doesn't harm the bike. The PAIR system does not affect performance at all, you could just leave it in place.

·
very big dumb
9,053 Posts
more to deleting pair than just plates (you could make some with a hacksaw and drill if you wanted to). also need resistors etc.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
557 Posts
Welcome to SVR Tacio. My backfiring on deceleration improved dramatically after I fixed an exhaust leak near the collector. You might check for exhaust leaks.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I took the PAIR system off of my Gen 2 when I swapped the stock muffler off, no popping. Might get one bang on a shift or when I first close the throttle, but that's all. I used the Driven kit, plates, screws, cap for the solenoid. Comes with instructions, pretty simple and straight forward install.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
My 2nd gen Super Sport race bike had a PAIR system and didn't just pop, but BANGED when enough unspent fuel was dumped into the exhaust. It actually helped my riding because I learned to never fully close the throttle to avoid the bang.
I did remove the system though. I didn't know there was a kit. I think there is a couple hoses to remove and block and I made block off plates from scrap aluminum plate and removed the reed valves. No pops or bangs since but it does blow some unspent fuel into the air on deceleration so there's that.

·
Registered
2021 SV650A
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your inputs Geo Smith, MOHillbilly and Bicycle Repairman. I'll definitely look into all the options you guys suggested.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts