Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

;DCall me crazy, but with gas prices nowadays, I am very interested in riding my bike during the winter.  I live in North Dakota where the winter temp. averages subzero!
Does anyone know what I can get for traction and some kind of block heater?  Any suggestions, comments or tips? 

These are the only products I found and I am not sure if it's compatible for my 2004 sv650:

Snow claws Set - Snow Chains for Motorcycles ...http://www.mv-motorrad.de/cosmoshop/lshop,showdetail,13240,e,1105803788-30287,,10107,,,.htm

Motorcycle Engine Heater for a Honda ST1300 ...http://www.mv-motorrad.de/cosmoshop/lshop,showdetail,13240,e,1105803788-30287,,10107,,,.htm

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think JC Whitney used to sell magnetic heater blocks for car engines, but that one looks like it oughta work alright. As far as those tire straps, well, I would hate to hear of one coming off at 40+mph... I get the feeling it would make one heck of a mess.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd rather spend more on gas instead of risking expensive damage (and injury) by riding in snow. I got caught out in a snow storm once on my SV - cost me a new clutch lever, rearset and blinker... :-\ It's just not suited for slippery conditions, slips out under you much too fast, both during accelleration, braking and going off the gas...

On the other hand I have been in several snow storms on my old bike, an old Honda 600cc off-roader. Much easier to control when it starts sliding...

·
Registered
76 Posts
:eek: I had no clue they made such things for motorcycles. I too plan to ride my bike well into winter, but when snow is on the ground or the temperatures are not expected to go above freezing all day, I will not be riding. Lucky for me, the winters have been fairly mild in my neck of the woods the last few years. The year before last I even went out for a ride on Christmas day, just for the fun of it. ;D

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Pirelli MTR60s are the best tire I have found for cold pavement and reduced tractiom situations

I don't commute in winter, takes too long to get dressed for the 20 mile commute, but I still go on my sunday rides so long as the roads are plowed, coldest I have been out is -15°

when I am going riding, I plug my battery into my battery tender the night before to insure a full charge
if it doesn't start withing a few seconds of cranking, I stop and turn my salamander heater on and blast the bike with heat for 15 minutes or so before I try again, I've only had to do that twice, both times it was more than 12 below

when you get your gear on, don't be afraid to use duct tape, even the slightest opening in your gear can be instant frostbite, I've always been nice & toasty with my gerbings heated gear

keep speeds to 60 or less, wind chill turns your helmet into an ice cube if you go any faster

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good suggestions, RandyO! Thanks for your ideas. I had never thought about using duct tape, but I know the littlest opening can chill you to the bone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand the risks involved during winter, but my distance to work is 2 miles round trip and the fastest my speedlimit is 35 mph.  I might venture off downtown that is 30 miles round trip, but that speed limit is 70 mph.   I'm really worried about ice because there is usually ice on the pavement versus snow.  Maybe I should just brush away my idea.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just buy a civic.

My local paper did an article lately where they took 10 new economy cars, put in 50L of fuel, and drove them on real road, at real speeds, till they ran dry.

The civic got 55mpg, and that conventional, not the hybrid!
Damn it, even my bike doesn't get that kind of mileage.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
lokalboy83 said:
I understand the risks involved during winter, but my distance to work is 2 miles round trip and the fastest my speedlimit is 35 mph.  I might venture off downtown that is 30 miles round trip, but that speed limit is 70 mph.   I'm really worried about ice because there is usually ice on the pavement versus snow.  Maybe I should just brush away my idea.
2 miles.......round trip, that's only a mile each way, walk fer crisakes

·
Registered
197 Posts
You'll spend more time getting ready than you would if you just walked....such as RandyO said.

·
Registered
76 Posts
aceluck said:
Just buy a civic.

My local paper did an article lately where they took 10 new economy cars, put in 50L of fuel, and drove them on real road, at real speeds, till they ran dry.

The civic got 55mpg, and that conventional, not the hybrid!
Damn it, even my bike doesn't get that kind of mileage.
I'm not sure if I believe that! I own a Civic Hybrid and it doesn't even get near that mileage. :mad:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
yah they make motorcycles for the snow.... they are called snow mobiles. putting chains on a motorcycle just sounds like a accident waiting to happen to me

·
Registered
653 Posts
1st of all, this is definately a crazy and unnecessarily unsafe idea.

2ndly, I can't believe we're already talking about winter. Only one week till Fall :-\

3rdly, my bro just bought a civic hybrid, best I've seen is 52.5mpg.

·
Registered
42 Posts
algreen said:
1st of all, this is definately a crazy and unnecessarily unsafe idea.
Crazy - no. Unsafe? Does that mean not worth doing? I wouldn't discourage anyone to ride due to inclement weather as long as they are a competent rider and have the right gear. Not that winter in Dallas is too rough, but I prefer riding in freezing rain to driving in it.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
FirstSymptom said:
Crazy - no.  Unsafe? Does that mean not worth doing?  I wouldn't discourage anyone to ride due to inclement weather as long as they are a competent rider and have the right gear.  Not that winter in Dallas is too rough, but I prefer riding in freezing rain to driving in it. 
? you must define freezing rain different in Dallas than we do in NewEngland... in fact I don't think it's possible to have freezing rain there (you might get it on bridges) are you talking about sleet?

·
Registered
653 Posts
FirstSymptom said:
Crazy - no.  Unsafe? Does that mean not worth doing?  I wouldn't discourage anyone to ride due to inclement weather as long as they are a competent rider and have the right gear.  Not that winter in Dallas is too rough, but I prefer riding in freezing rain to driving in it. 
Well, that's my point. Everything we do is crazy in that there is a calculated risk. If you enjy riding to the extent that you are willing to ride in the cold, rain, snow, sleet, etc. then go ahead. Really, this whole discussion is about the NEED for tansportation, then the FUN of getting there. In the case of this author, he doesn't need to ride (1 mile) while ultra high awareness and unsafe conditions remove the FUN from riding for most. In the end, do what you want, be safe, wear gear and take pics. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
lokalboy83 said:
2 miles? Walk, or buy a bicycle and fit it with studded tires... I know a couple of despatch riders that ride their SV's in the winter, they use Pirelli MTR (IIRC) tires and get studs fitted. I don't have a car and ride my SV all winter, but not on snow and ice. In these conditions I use my Piaggio scooter with studded tires, works great!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts