Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do I need to order or is there a kit to get?

Also as far as routine maintenance, from what i understand brakes, oil, tire change, what are the most difficult operations if I want to start learning sooner than later?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Some people find them ALL difficult, and even professionals mess them up once in a while. 😉 If I were to rate those three from most to least difficult…

1) Tire change;
2) Brake bleeding/fluid change/maintenance;
3) Oil change.

Don’t get me wrong. ANY of these can quickly turn difficult when something unexpected happens. All I do is read the Service Manual procedure and follow the directions! But what happens if your oil filter or drain bolt is seized on, for example? That’s when mechanics make their money, or those with the tools and aptitude can recover much more quickly.

Or a BETTER example… Ask poor @Geo Smith how ‘easy’ a simple brake fluid replacement and bleeding has been? 😉

·
Registered
864 Posts
Start by learning to change your oil, it's a very simple process. Also learn to adjust your chain and lube it, again this is simple and there are good YouTube videos to help you through the process.
I would advise you to have your mechanic do the brake fluid change.
Most folks I know, even those who have been riding for many years have thier tires replaced by a shop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's good to know about the brake fluid and definitely for my first run at least I would do it at the shop just because screwing that up could be really bad in terms of consequences.

I appreciate the reply and support here this place is much better than most motorcycle gatekeeping communities.

One other thing I wanted to know is which of these tasks involve the most in terms of tools needed in terms of dollar amount? is it words getting my own nice hoses to bleed my brakes or a really nice center stand sort of mount for changing or rotating my tires?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Get a rear stand.
Changing oil requires one wrench, oil filter wrench ( most of the time only requires hand tightening and loosening), funnel, and a oil container to drain your oil into.

Chain adjustment requires a couple wrenches for the axle, wrench or allen for the adjuster, rag, and gear oil to lube the chain.

No rotating the tires, when thier done replace.

Bleeding brakes requires very little, a hose and a plastic bag. If you choose to reverse bleed a large syringe. Again YouTube.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
See if you can find a local Biker's cafe/ Meeting place and then ask around. Most bikers will happily help a newbie and it's a good way to make friends. Just tell someone you want to learn basic maintenance and I'm sure someone will help mentor you. I know I would if asked and was there :)

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,568 Posts
Or a BETTER example… Ask poor @Geo Smith how ‘easy’ a simple brake fluid replacement and bleeding has been? 😉
:ROFLMAO:And carb cleaning. And tank lining. And painting... It's all a learning experience, yet one I highly recommend.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,568 Posts
Buy a plastic tool box from Home Depot, and fill it with:
  • Basic metric open/closed end wrench set.
  • Basic metric 3/8 drive socket set.
  • Plier set, needle nose, dikes, standard.
  • JIS screw driver set.
  • Spark plug socket.
Bezos sells all of this stuff. This should get you started. Every man should own (and know how to use) a tool box.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,568 Posts
Pull the seat off. Lift the tank. Get in there and get comfortable taking stuff apart. As Strat would recommend, spray, and wipe everything down with ACF-50. This will get your feet wet. Motorcycle wrenching can have many Zen moments.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
If the bike didn't come with the ,"Factory Toolkit" then it's worth getting one ( Check under the rear seat compartment) .

The special ,"Bendy " Spark plug spanner/wrench is worth it's weight in gold! You can even use it to remove the Rad bolts when required :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Geo Smith

·
Registered
609 Posts
One other thing I wanted to know is which of these tasks involve the most in terms of tools needed in terms of dollar amount? is it words getting my own nice hoses to bleed my brakes or a really nice center stand sort of mount for changing or rotating my tires?
I’m wondering what you have in terms of space/place to do the work? Do you have a house with a garage or big driveway, or just an apartment parking lot?

·
Registered
2019 SV650X
16 Posts
I use this tool to bleed my brakes. It's always worked for me. There's a how to video on the page that gives a pretty good run down. Brake bleeding's always gone pretty easy for me, but maybe I've just gotten lucky and my bikes have lived indoors their whole lives and have little corrosion issues.

When it comes to difficulty I would say tires are a pain, checking valve clearances is also pretty labor intensive and requires your undivided attention to detail. Rebuilding your forks is right up there with checking valve clearances. Between changing oil and filter and bleeding brakes, I would say the oil and filter are actually more involved than bleeding brakes, so I'm gonna say bleeding brakes is one of the simplest maintenance tasks, second only to lubing your chain.

·
Registered
'07 SV650S, '05 Ninja 250
1,239 Posts
I just did a little brake work on my 250 and revisited this procedure:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

I reverse filled but had some leaky copper gaskets at the mc. Annealed, reinstalled, filled the system and decided to let it de-aererate overnight. I held the mc closed with a clamp.

I was careful to turn the bars to eliminate any captive air pockets:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

Couple pump/bleed passes this am and lever is hard. I can't wait to try out some hard braking!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts