Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am having trouble getting a hard lever.
i had to replace the master and the top line on my brake system.
i installed a 04gsxr radial master.
i am not to good at bleading brakes when they are dry.
my friends dad is supost to help me tomorrow. he thinks he knows how to fix it.
does anyone have any tips or anything to help me along.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Keep the bleeder open. Pour brake fluid into the reservoir. Pump the lever. Eventually you'll see brake fluid come out of the bleeder.

Tighten the bleeder shut. Pump the lever a few times. Crack the bleeder open momentarily and then tighten it shut. Repeat a few times till all you see you come out is clear brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
without a vacuum bleeder, it takes hours. You might consider leaving the bleeder fittings opened, filling up the reservoir and walking away for a few hours just to get the fluid through.
Pump like mad to get some fluid through then start the mind numbing hours of fun....

START:
open bleeder
squeeze lever
snug bleeder
release lever
GOTO START:

If you have access to a vacuum bleeder this is a 5 minute job. It might be wort your while to look around for a reasonably priced one. If you have an air compressor you might find one that runs off that for cheap.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I use these: www.speedbleeder.com
I like'em.  They work for me.  They're pretty cheap. They make bleedig easy:

1) remove the cap of the brake fluid resouvioir.
2) attach rubber hose to speedbleeder nipple and put other end in a glass jar.
3) unscrew speedbleeder 1/4 turn.
4) simultaniously pump braker lever and add fluid

With every squeze, you'll see the old fluid come out through the hose and into the glass jar.  When you're done, just tighten the bleeder again and you're done.  Easy.

*edit: broken link

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea my dad has the speed bleaders
they work good iv done his brakes before no problem i jus never got around to ordering them
probably should have
to late now thanks guys

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Mityvac is your friend... I hate bleeding brakes, for me it was the worst part of the front end swap, so to have a winderful toy like that that just takes care of it for you is a lifesaver. Changed my m/c in probably a quarter the time it would have taken otherwise as well.

The Speed bleeders seem an excellent bit of kit too, might pick some up...

·
Registered
68 Posts
donniej said:
without a vacuum bleeder, it takes hours. 
LOL! I did mine in about ten minutes without a Miti-vac or anything else. I (wore rubber gloves and used my thumb to) bench bleed the master cylinder before I put it on the bike (over a drain pan, duh!); then I connected all the lines. Doing this kept most of the air out of the master cylinder, which means that once you start the "squeeze lever, open caliper bleeder, close bleeder, release" sequence, it will actually push fluid down the lines instead of squeezing air in the master. You will see bubbles coming out of the bleeders at the calipers at first and while you do that, squeeze the line going from the reservoir to the master cylinder. When the bubbles stop coming out of that line, it's really all downhill. With alittle practice, you can push a LOT of fluid out in a short period of time, flushing the system in five or ten minutes. A Miti-vac makes it even easier, but don't hesitate if you don't have one!

I actually took more time making sure my brake lines were routed correctly than bleeding the system.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got a lever today lol.
its still a little spongey.
i got my pressure switch for the brake light so i figure when i install it air will enter the system.
but i now have feel in the lever which is good and will make me keep trying.
i have no patience

1 - 11 of 11 Posts