Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont own an sv650 but when I first decided that I wanted a streetbike I made the decision on a naked bike. After some research I decided the sv650 to be the right bike. I've seen some pics of black sv's and think they are head and shoulders better then the other colors. To my knowledge they only made them in 02 and are pretty rare (might be wrong). My question is this. Is the 02 sv650 a lot less advanced (for lack of a better word) then a brand new one. And has anyone treid to make there blue yellow etc. sv650 into a black one.

p.s. Sorry if I sound dumb but Im new to this (and dumb!)

·
Registered
121 Posts
We are here to help you. Yes the only black sv was made in 02. Do you mean advanced as in technology? styling? because one is for sure and the other is opinion. The 2nd generation SVs(03+) have fuel injection as opposed to carburetion. This allows for more power and better gas mileage. I would say any second generation model as a rule would be more advanced technologically. However, the 2nd gens do have a different look, which some on this site do not care for, especially the frame. I personally like it, along with the LED back tail. But I also like the 1st gen with its tubular frame. So thats up to you, what do you like the look of better? Now with color I've seen a second gen black(which is awesome) but I'm positive it was not available in the US. So if you like the 1st gens styling I would recommend looking for a used 02 SV, since you could find one in black. Good luck.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you have the money/patience you could always buy a leftover 05...buy a tank, rear cowl, and front fender for the SV1000 (comes in black)...have it installed and sell off the orginal SV650 stuff. The black frame and black paint would be kick a$$.

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Black was out in 2000 in some territories too. Only the good ones though.

"Foolish Americans! You drop nuclear weapons on our cities! We will make you pay, by selling you seafoam SVs instead of sexy black ones! HA HA HA HA!"

·
Registered
122 Posts
Northwind said:
"Foolish Americans! You drop nuclear weapons on our cities! We will make you pay, by selling you seafoam SVs instead of sexy black ones! HA HA HA HA!"
Tojo does make us pay. Lack of models imported...Lame colors. I guess we deserve it though. ;D

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have to agree, Bikes aren't the only thing though, I hate the little rice racers but I would kill to have a Skyline. Those cars are bad a$$

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I must say that I like the tubular frame quite a bit better. But at the same time I would love to have fuel injection. So if I wanted a black fuel injected tubular framed sv650 it would be an expensive up hill battle.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
kalabula said:
well I must say that I like the tubular frame quite a bit better.  But at the same time I would love to have fuel injection.  So if I wanted a black fuel injected tubular framed sv650 it would be an expensive up hill battle.
Ooh, my pet subject ;) What would you expect to gain from the FI? SV FI is as basic as it comes, it doesn't have a lambda sensor so it fires its set map, all the time. The power delivery down low is worse too. The FI SVs make more power, but that's mainly from the cams. Good FI kicks the ass of SV carbs, but at this point SV FI isn't all that good. Next gen'll probably have spome form of feedback sensors. The only real benefit is the absence of carb icing, if you suffer from that, but you could buy a lifetwime supply of FST Pro for less ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heres the thing. I have my winters off here in Michigan. If I where to leave here in Winter and ride down to Florida would the drastic climate chage effect the carbs jetting? I know it would in my quad. I found some 02's for not to bad of a price but of course they are all out of state.

The sun is out today in Michigan and it is beautiful. I want a bike so bad I cant stand it

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
it probably would... But the injection wouldn't be much better. With carbs, all you have to do if you're goign through truly drastic changes like that, is carry around a pair of smaller jets and a screwdriver ;)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
i dunno my fuel injection has never been bothered by temps. i've ridden in every thing from 100* heat down to the 40's and it can just as smooth. only thing was it took longer to warm up when it was cold (duh!)

as for color. total cost for a paint job on the sv wouldn't be expensive... i mean i'm not expert but i wouldn't say more than $500 for a naked. i mean there isn't much to paint. you got the tank the three tail parts and the front fender. if you strip it your self you could probally do it for alot less money.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Yup, but decent road carbs- which the SV has- are also nothing like as sensitive to conditions as they used to be either. If you're rich in a really cold climate you'll be too rich in a really hot one, but if your carbs are set up right to start with,the only thing that'll give you real issues is huge elevation changes, and those will impact a bike with FI like the SV has too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know the black SV650S is also available in Canada, not just Europe. You wouldn't know by looking at Suzuki's Canada website but lo and behold the black one was at my local dealer. And now it is mine ;). Looks really awesome in person. Just need to find a fairing or spoiler to go with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ya its not just the black that I like but the black with the tubular frame. "02" is the only year for that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.