Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to paint the countershaft sprocket cover black, but I'm having a hard time finding a finish that matches the bike. I tried Rustoleum 7777 satin black, and it came out too glossy, and 7776 flat black is way too dull. I would like something that matches the finish of the frame. Been searching for a semi-flat black like Krylon k01613 for a week now and the only place I can find it is on amazon or at an industrial supply like grainger. Any suggestions for a better paint to try? Thanks.

Here is a pic of the area where it goes, just so you can see the colors and finishes surrounding it if it helps.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used Krylon satin black for my exhaust bracket and it seemed to match up pretty well to the frame. Not perfect but not way off either.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill go try the krylon. I know that the rusto satin I used on the inside of the cover is too shiny for the outside, but it'll hopefully make the chain lube easier to clean off.

·
Super Moderator
7,038 Posts
Unfortunately, it's going to be trial-and-error to find something with the same gloss level as the frame. Each manufacturer has a slightly different gloss level for their satin, matte, semi-gloss, etc - so what one company calls "satin" isn't going to have the same gloss level as another company's "satin".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im trying to paint the countershaft sprocket cover black, but I'm having a hard time finding a finish that matches the bike. I tried Rustoleum 7777 satin black, and it came out too glossy, and 7776 flat black is way too dull. I would like something that matches the finish of the frame. Been searching for a semi-flat black like Krylon k01613 for a week now and the only place I can find it is on amazon or at an industrial supply like grainger. Any suggestions for a better paint to try? Thanks.

Here is a pic of the area where it goes, just so you can see the colors and finishes surrounding it if it helps.

Did you find one that matched?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, been busy with work lately, but yeah, I found it. It's a company called Tough Guy. Sold by Grainger and its semi-flat black code 4WGC3. Page 1635 in catalog. Took me about 6 different blacks before I finally broke down and went to Grainger.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I've put a lot of hours into this thing. Front end conversion in the works. I'll post some pics up tomorrow of bike as she sits now. But let's just say the front end might involve a certain set of 06 gsxr 600 forks with ak-20s that were for sale the other day on another classifieds forum. Yay!

·
Registered
367 Posts
nice modding of the cover, looks good!

·
Super Moderator
7,038 Posts
Sorry, been busy with work lately, but yeah, I found it. It's a company called Tough Guy. Sold by Grainger and its semi-flat black code 4WGC3. Page 1635 in catalog. Took me about 6 different blacks before I finally broke down and went to Grainger.

Good job - looks like you got it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts