Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need some new bars and I know I'm going with some bikemasters, but I cant decide on which kind. I have an '06 Naked so I was wondering if people with similar bikes with different kinds of bikemaster bars could post some pics up so I could compare. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I have both the drag bar and the superbike bar. Right now the superbike bar is on, it's pretty cool. It's a tad bit lower than the stock bar, a bit wider, and not quite as much sweep back. The drag bar is much lower, no sweep back, and made my forearms kinda sore after an hour.

Pic of drag bar, none of superbike bar yet

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have both the drag bar and the superbike bar. Right now the superbike bar is on, it's pretty cool. It's a tad bit lower than the stock bar, a bit wider, and not quite as much sweep back. The drag bar is much lower, no sweep back, and made my forearms kinda sore after an hour.
How are the superbike bars on your forearms and wrists? I'm kinda short (5'10" ish) so I would probably be leaning forward a bit anyway, so I think the drag bars are a bad option for me. Thanks for the info and the pics.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Does anyone know of a bar that is nearly identical to the stock N bars but just a touch lower? The lack of the sweep back on the superbike bars made my wrists sore after a few hours.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'm 5'7"-ish and I tend to lean forward anyway, due to wind. They are great on my arms/wrists, I lean enough that my elbows are pretty bent when holding the bars. I may get a SM bar for shorter jaunts/track days (if i ever get to any) and put the superbike bars on for longer trips.

I'm gonna go down and take some pics of my superbike bars now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was debating heavily between the superbike bars and the drag style, but i think I'm gonna go with the superbike bars. Thanks for the pics and info mudsurfer!

·
Registered
789 Posts
mudsurfer, which handlebars did you like the most? the superbike or drag bars? I'm about 6'0" and wingspan of about 6'2".

dcook, how are you liking the superbike bars?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'm only 5'7". With the superbike bars, I am sitting nearly completely upright, and the wind is a pain in the @ss. I now have the drag bars back on (got another set, but black). I've had them on for about 4000 miles now, including a 2000 mile trip, and they're great. I still want to get more aggressive bars, to help with the wind, like SM1's.

·
Registered
789 Posts
^^^ do you or could you show some side view pix of your drag bars? I'm trying to gather and idea of how high they are... something where I can see the height of the tank compared to the height of the handlebars (a side profile works :D)
If it's too "leaned forward", I don't want that, as I do plan to have a somewhat relaxed ride when I'm not in the twisties. At the same time I'd like to have a little more forward lean.

I was hoping the superbike bars would give me a little more aggressive look. But seeing that you're a tad shorter than I, the superbikes sound nearly the same as the stock N handlebars.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
If you picture having a straight metal bar going through your handlebar risers, you essentially have a drag bar. I'm going to guess here, that the drag bar is about 1.5" lower and 1" forward compared to a stock N handlebar.

If it wasn't raining like mad outside, I would go and take a picture.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
"cafe" style bike masters

·
Registered
789 Posts
LS, what are those? Are they the same handlebars in both pics? It looks like the bars in the 2nd pic are a more slanted down than the first, but that must be the angle that the picture was taken?

If you picture having a straight metal bar going through your handlebar risers, you essentially have a drag bar. I'm going to guess here, that the drag bar is about 1.5" lower and 1" forward compared to a stock N handlebar.

If it wasn't raining like mad outside, I would go and take a picture.
makes sense to me! no worries on the picture. Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
You can adjust pullback by removing the bars from the bike and heating them at the spot you want bent with a oxy-acetylene torch until it gets a dull red and bend it with gloves on. Takes about 1-2 minutes per side depending on flame/torch size. If you do it to chrome bars the chrome will probably peel off at the heated spot. I was doing this yesterday.

What's up with the Bikemaster sizes? They list thier Daytona as having 3" of pullback. A stock SV650 has 7 1/2".

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
clubman. They actually do point a bit down because they had a little interference with the forks. They're put down as far as they could go. I still have them if your interested.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Mudsurfer,what's up,didn't you notice you parked the plane in the garage!And you got my first road bike Honda 450 Nighthawk(Great bike).

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I've since sold the Nighthawk (to get the C50) and the plane is in the process of being sold... (got a much bigger one, lol).

LS, with the clubmans, you can't get a "normal" clip-on position because they hit the forks? I was going to try a set of these instead of shelling out $160 for SM1's.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I've since sold the Nighthawk (to get the C50) and the plane is in the process of being sold... (got a much bigger one, lol).

LS, with the clubmans, you can't get a "normal" clip-on position because they hit the forks? I was going to try a set of these instead of shelling out $160 for SM1's.
That's exactly what I did and that's exactly the problem I had.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts