Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 svs and having problems starting, the battery is showing full charge, when I turn the key to the on postion all the lights work, clutch connector is in tact and kick stand also. When I go to start the engine I hear a faint noise under the seat but nothing else, no clicking or spinning or anything, also when I try to start the bike no light flicker. It will push start? Any ideas I was thinking possibly the ignition coil was bad but everything seems to be getting a current down to the spark plugs just nothing turns over when I try to start it, any ideas???

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Have you checked the fuses as well as the starter relay?

Are you sure that the clutch switch is ok? Is the bike in neutral when you're trying to start it? Are you sure the kill switch is in the proper position?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clutch switch is ok and i even jumped it to bypass just incase, the bike is also in neutral and have tried it in gear with the kick stand up, and yep the kill switch is in the right position. I this is were I draw a blank cause I have tried all the basics even down to cleaning connectors. And all the fuses are good. I even changed them just in case. It seems like i'm getting power to everything else but nothing. I will say that when I went to start it for the season that it did turn over a few times but then took a crap. I hooked up the battery charger and still nothing, so then I attempted to jump it still nothing and I even went to disconnecting the battery wires and connecting them directly to the jumper cables hooked up to my car battery and still nothing.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Get the battery load tested at a local auto shop - it might be showing 12v and not have the guts to kick the starter relay over....if not the you may have a bad starter relay - bit under the seat (sorta) with the green cover - can jump it (used like 9ga wire or such I think) and see if the starter spins at all - that noise you heard might be the relay failing to engage and thus start the bike

·
Registered
2 Posts
+1 on the load test. I can't even begin to count the number of folks that walked into the dealership, had us load test their battery and find out that it couldn't hold its own when under load.

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
If your headlights stay bright when you press the starter button, it is not failing under load - simply that your starter relay is not being energized.
If they go almost out however, then your battery is sagging to the point it cannot turn the starter.
So - do they dim, or stay bright?
If you want to be more technical about it check the voltage at the battery before and as you press the starter.

If not the battery, you are most likely losing either the power to or from the start button to the starter relay, or the signal via the clutch switch. even though you have shorted the switch contacts, the wire could be broken in the harness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I jumped my starter relay and got it to turn over so it looks like I know what I need to order. That's some what of a relief any idea what they cost?

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Thanks I jumped my starter relay and got it to turn over so it looks like I know what I need to order...
If your diagnostics consisted of only jumping across the terminals, it is not conclusive that the relay is bad - you need to validate that you get both power and the 'ground' return at the terminals.
Just because you shorted the clutch switch and got power at the start switch, that does not guarantee those signals are present at the relay itself.
A relay is $67 so be sure!
31800-21E20

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
+1 to D'ecosse's bit - my "jump the relay" bit was to rule out the starter as the problem (and most of the connections between a and b) - get the battery checked, doesn't cost anything and doesn't hurt (or follow D's thing on the headlight) given the "built like a tank" nature of the relay I'd suspect the battery before the relay in 99% of the cases

·
Registered
409 Posts
Jumping into this thread because I have the same problem. I commute every day and have never had a problem until this morning.

I started it up, started riding, and around a mile later I stopped for gas. When I went to start it up after filling up, nothing happened - almost like the clutch switch is bad but it checks out fine.

How likely is the battery to be my problem as well? I bought the bike used with 8k on it two years ago, and have put 10k on it since then. It is also a 2002. Can tell anything by checking for voltage drop with my multimeter while trying to start it? The dash lights do dim a little when I attempt to start it.

·
Super Moderator
8,127 Posts
1. How likely is the battery to be my problem as well?
2. Can tell anything by checking for voltage drop with my multimeter while trying to start it? The dash lights do dim a little when I attempt to start it.
1. How likely? Very, the battery is by far the most common thing to fail and would be the first thing I'd check. As always, make sure the battery post are clean and tight.

2. Yes, checking the battery by measuring the voltage while cranking the starter is an excellent load test. You should see no less than about 10v directly at the posts.

You can have a shop load test the battery for you, but the 65amp load (yeah, that's a lot!), from the SV650's starter motor makes the ideal load test since that's exactly what the battery is being asked to drive in real life.

If you see less than 10v under load then charge the battery overnight and try again. With a fully charged battery, if you still see less than 10v then it's time for a new one.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I couldn't get it to turn over at all. It read about 12.5 volts but dipped to 11.75 or so just by squeezing the brake lever to turn on the brake lights!

My local auto parts store tested it and said it was good, just needed to be charged. But I ride for an hour at a time, twice each day! Why would it be low on charge?

They didn't have a replacement that fit, so I hooked up a battery tender and trickle-charged it over night, and the bike fired right up this morning as if nothing was ever wrong.

·
Super Moderator
8,127 Posts
... But I ride for an hour at a time, twice each day! Why would it be low on charge?
The charging system may have failed. It's a common problem on gen1 bikes like yours. It's usually due to a bad voltage regulator/rectifier.

To test, start the bike and measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine at 5000 RPM. You should see about 13.5v to 14.5v. Good luck!

·
Registered
409 Posts
The charging system may have failed. It's a common problem on gen1 bikes like yours. It's usually due to a bad voltage regulator/rectifier.

To test, start the bike and measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine at 5000 RPM. You should see about 13.5v to 14.5v. Good luck!
Good thought, I'll check that out. I do have an upgraded R/R, whatever is reccomended in the sticky posts here. (it's from a CBR of some sort IIRC)

·
Registered
17 Posts
it seems the starter relay is somewhat of an issue here. my '06 1000 has had the "click" for about a year now. sometimes its once and other times its 8 or 9 times before it kicks over. done the same thing through two batteries.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cant get mine to turnover now. Just bought a 03 sv650 couple weeks ago poorly running. Then it stopped turning over when i got it home. Charged the battery, didnt work.

It does have 2 wires by the kickstand i dont know?

Ill try and bypass the starter tom. after i put a new o-ring's on the injectors. (1 started spewing when i put it back together after cleaning it all) lol.

What else could it be?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Some good ideas here. The same thing happened to my 1st gen this last week right after charging on a tender jr. for a couple of days. It switches to float so I assume that it cannot overcharge the battery. Lights seem bright, and just get the click. Next step is to check the fuses and take it is to a shop for a load test.

It also started dripping fuel, which is all over the bottom of the exhast pipe, but may be from the overflow tube. Weird stuff happens in the winter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts