Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can to much oil keep my bike from starting? How long does gasoline keep in the tank if the bike is in the garage for a couple of months without starting it?

·
Registered
'07 SV650S, '05 Ninja 250
1,033 Posts
Too much oil is not a good thing, but it probably won't prevent starting. Gas can be pretty volatile, is the bike cranking but not firing?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
06 is a Gen2, just so you know. Is this bike relatively new to you? When you turn the key on, do you hear the whirring of the fuel pump prime?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Are you getting any check engine codes?
Time to start running through the typical tune-up issues. Charge the battery, check for spark (just because it's easy), look up the fuel volume test, and check your fuel pump screen for clogs. If the gas is old, drain and replace.
It's not a bad idea to mix some Sta-bil in the gas, even on fuel-injected bikes. Ethanol degrades quickly and stabilizing your fuel helps. It even prevents the tank from rusting (which could be part of your problem).

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Has the bike been on a battery tender as it sat for a couple months? If not...the battery might be low which causes weak (or no) spark and slow cranking. They'll crank and crank but never fire and once it's cranked for just a second or two without lighting up the sparkplugs will be gas fouled. If the fuel pump is running, make sure the battery is fully charged then hold the throttle wide open and give it a try. Be ready to release the throttle as soon as it barks!!! WOT during cranking shouldn't fire the injectors and also let it pump lots of fresh air through the chamber which dries the plugs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Fellow SVer's,
Well, I put it on Battery Tender overnight still no turnover. It cranks but that's it.

I drained some of the oil to the Full line. Still won't turnover. Could it be my starters fuse? The fuel pump is under the tank right? It has some kind of yellow transparent bulb looking thing under the tank next to two ports with two black rubber covers on the two ports with clips to hold them on. Do you have to take off the tank to drain the gas in it? Also, there are no codes on lite up on dashes screen.

I appreciate the help

·
Super Moderator
9,313 Posts
It is not the fuses. If the bike has been sitting, problem#1 is the battery. If the battery is known good (starter motor cranks strongly) then problem#2 is fuel. Do you hear the fuel pump prime when the key is first turned on? Try do a fuel volume test, should see 6oz in ten seconds.

·
Super Moderator
9,313 Posts
TeeRiver,
What's a fuel volume test and how do you do it?
Do not jump 12v to the fuel pump as mentioned below. Instead, turn the key on/off three times. Each on/off will run the fuel pump for 3 seconds for a total of 9 seconds, easy and close enough.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Font Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
9,313 Posts
"Sat a couple of months..." Any chance that could mean, like, a year or so?

Trying to determine if there really is a fuel problem or maybe the plugs are just gas fouled as RecoilRob mentioned above. Two months is too short to have fuel trouble.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts