Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, now my bike really won't start. When I press the starter button, the bike starts making the noise but the starter won't engage. The battery seems ok (all the lights work). The thing is, it worked yesterday. wtf is wrong now? What should I check?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hmmm, on the second thought, the lights do seem a bit dimmer. I have not been riding the bike ever since I got it (still waiting for the license), but I have been periodically turning it on just to exercise the engine and check if everything is working (well, that and just because I can't wait to start riding it ;-)). I assumed that the battery gets charged as long as the engine is running, even if you're not riding the bike. Is that not the case?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
A couple minutes of idling will not replace the electrical charge used in starting a cold bike. You need to ride for at least an hour or two to recharge the battery using the bike.

Put your battery on a 12 volt trickle charger (1-2 amps) overnight and try starting....

[edit: Btw, starting the bike, letting it idle for a few minutes, and then turning it off is not good for either the motor or the battery...]

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Battery is under the rider seat. Now might be a good time to read the owner's manual. If you don't have one, you can download for free here: http://www.ronlarimer.com/sv650.html

If you're in a northern climate or need to store the bike (unridden) for more than two weeks, use of a battery tender or habitually trickle charging will be necessary to maintain your battery. Small battery chargers can be had for ~$35 or less (a cheapie from Wal-Mart has served me well for years).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, thanks. So how do I get to the battery? Do I have to take out the seat first? That would be really annoying....

btw I did look at the manual (section 7, electrical systems). It mentions the battery but doesn't say *where it is*.

thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Remove the black side panels with about a 4mm allen wrench, then remove the seat, 6mm allen. Remove the fuse box, (it's snapped in) and there it is.

Grav.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Dig your tool kit out from under the tail, it should have all the allen wrenches you need. Your battery should also be maintenance free so don't try to put the plugs off the top if is says m.f. or anything referring to that concept. Also remember to disconnect the negative terminal first, then the positive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys! I got the battery out. That was easy. Of course I'll call it a success only when I put it back in and it all suddenly works. Here's to hoping...

Wow, I'm inadvertantly getting a crash course in motorcycle maintenance. Anything else I need to know about fixing this? Thanks for all your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts