Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike wont start up. Heres what happened (long story, short);

I clipped the left side of my bike on a car that stopped out of nowhere to avoid a collision, but the bike and I fell and slid on the left side. Got back up with minor injuries. Bike started after that fine. 2 hours later I go to start the bike back up and it doesnt work. I had a new battery, just changed my voltage regulator, and fuel valves about 3 weeks ago. The lights still work and so does the horn so its not the battery. When I try to start up the bike it doesnt even turn over. I tried push starting it and still no go. Also, the clutch seems to be messed up. Probably from the fall. Sometimes Ill be able to change gears and sometimes it doesnt let me. Sometimes it wont even go into first gear. Just Neutral and above.

Any ideas of what happened??

·
Registered
459 Posts
it would make sense if the clutch were messed up, since you gotta pull the clutch to get it started. cable loose or partially broken? how's the lever look? do you feel tension like normal when you squeeze it?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm surprising that nobody else has chimed in on this

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Make sure that the clutch interlock plug is plugged in. It lives under the clutch lever pivot area. If it's out, the bike won't start.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Does the starter relay click?

You could jump the clutch interlock switch for shits and giggles.

Lift the tank and just check all the connections around ignition coils and such..

If it started right afterwards that clutch damage isn't likely, but not to be ruled out.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
What year is your bike? If it's an 03 or later (ie - fuel injected), do you hear the injectors prime?

Sometimes it's the silly things that catch us. Still catches me sometimes, even... So... check your kill switch. make sure your side stand is up. stuff like that.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Glad your not hurt, where are you located, I'll bet someone nearby could help you out if you need it. Here some thoughts: Well if you slide on the the left side and that's where your problems are coming from then you will need to check each one out.

Year & Are you naked or S?

First; As per Rock Dodger "Make sure that the clutch interlock plug is plugged in. It lives under the clutch lever pivot area. If it's out, the bike won't start."

Check lever very carefully for broken or missing parts and that it is good working order.....feel the same as before? travel/play?

2nd. kick stand switch, check it out

3rd. shift lever damage..linkage...? Not for starting unless no neutral light.

4th RT. thumb on/off switch in off or no mans land? oh yea, that happens!

Still not starting?

5th. seeing as how you were under the seat not that long ago you will need to get in there again and make sure all is well cause you never know...by the way did you put a full charge on the new battery when you put it in or did you just install and go.. may be weak even though you have lights....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Help please bike wont start .I checked the plugs .put new ones in all the connections look good.cheked the fuses they look good .am lost help

·
Super Moderator
6,869 Posts
Help please bike wont start .I checked the plugs .put new ones in all the connections look good.cheked the fuses they look good .am lost help
We need more info to help you.

What does it do when you hit the starter button?

·
Super Moderator
8,597 Posts
When did this bike last run?

Has it sat unused for a long time?

What happened just before the problem started?

Does it crank over slowly or does it crank strong?

As mentioned, the more info you give, the better help you will receive.

·
Super Moderator
6,869 Posts
It acts like it wants to start but it doesn't.
How it cranks over will tell you something about the problem.

A common issue with that Gen is the Starter Relay going bad. It reduces the battery voltage to the point where it barely turns the engine over. It can be confirmed with a volt meter, comparing voltage from the battery to the relay to the starter.

You need a volt meter. Start by checking the battery voltage before trying to start. It should be 12.7V or more before cranking and over 10V while cranking, at the battery terminals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's my daily driver.the throttle got stuck.and it was ran hard for about 20 min trying to get the rpms down .there was no indicator about how hot it was....I tested all the connections except the relay and starter checking them later today..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts