Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Yesterday morning I was not able to start my bike. A block party was taking place on my block, and so I decided to move my bike to the end of the block and out of the way. So instead of starting it off the bat, I just made sure it was in neutral and pushed it down the block. Once I got there, I tried to start it up and it wouldnt start. The lights/etc... would all come on, but when I hit the starter button the engine would barely even try to turn over. I tried starting it a few times to make sure I hadnt flooded it. I decided that (though it seemed unlikely to me), that maybe the battery (which is only 3 months old) needed recharging since throughout the work week a number of people had set my scorpio alarm off.

So I charged the battery all day, and then made the mistake of testing the bike again at night. THIS CHAIN OF EVENTS IS WHAT I NEED HELP WITH (just thought the background might help too)

With a flashlight dangling from my mouth, I put the battery back in the bike. When I attached the positive wires to the battery, there was a medium size spark and then all the turnsignals turned on solid (I think because of the scorpio alarm wire). I realized that in the dark I had f'ed up and connected the negative wire to the positive battery connector, and vice-versa!!!! I immediately switched them to the correct connections, but then when I turned the key to "ON" no lights whatsoever would come on. The bike of course wouldnt start either.

So in the off chance that the mixup simply drained my battery ( ::)), I charged my battery again for the whole night. This morning, in the sunlight, I re-connected my battery to the bike correctly. Again, no lights whatsoever and the bike would even attempt to start (acting as thought there was no battery or electricity at all).

Thinking that I overloaded a fuse, I replaced the ignition (10) fuse with the replacement 10 fuse in the fuse box. Nothing happened.

So.... any ideas??? Did I fry something? If so, what? How can I fix this? Any advice or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Oh, btw, for the last month or two Ive noticed that when putting the bike in first gear sfrom neutral sometimes it would just shut off completely. I have the clutch completely depressed, and started to worry that it was some sort of electrical problem. Just adding this if it helps with the above analysis.

thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andy!! I checked that fuse. Dont know if it is blown or not. Unfortunately, the previous owner (I bought used) had used the spare fuse!! So now I have to buy one online or see if the local stores have it. Once I replace it, Ill give it another try.

Anything else that I should consider while Im waiting to buy the replacement 30A fuse?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Blacksun said:
Thanks Andy!!  I checked that fuse.  Dont know if it is blown or not.  Unfortunately, the previous owner (I bought used) had used the spare fuse!!  So now I have to buy one online or see if the local stores have it.  Once I replace it, Ill give it another try.

Anything else that I should consider while Im waiting to buy the replacement 30A fuse?
Can't you just look at the fuse and see if it's blown?

Your electrics certainly shouldn't be fried...that's what the fuses are there for.

All I can suggest is that you should figure out why your battery went dead in the first place. Do you take a lot of short trips? Do you leave your lights on for long amounts of time? To you sleepwalk in the middle of the night and turn your bike off and on in your sleep?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Yeah, the 30 fuse is blown. Ill try to pick up a replacement tomorrow and try to fire the bike up. Still dont know why it wouldnt start before. I hadnt rode it for a week, and the couple times I did ride it last weekend were for short trips. So maybe thats why.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Blacksun said:
Thanks.  Yeah, the 30 fuse is blown.  Ill try to pick up a replacement tomorrow and try to fire the bike up.   Still dont know why it wouldnt start before.  I hadnt rode it for a week, and the couple times I did ride it last weekend were for short trips.  So maybe thats why.
It should take more than a few short trips to kill your battery...

There are a few options:

1.) Your bike is not charging the battery...this is probably the most expensive possibility.
2.) Something is continuing to draw power off your battery after you turn it off
3.) You got a dud for a battery

1 - 6 of 6 Posts