Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I picked up my sv about a month ago from a friend that had it sitting in his garage for a year. The bike started but would not run without almost full choke.

After doing plenty of searching on the forums I decided to clean the carbs and replace the spark plugs.

Today I put in fresh gas and a good measure of Seafoam and started her up. The idle kicks up to 3k rpms, then backs down to 1800 with full choke. I can back the choke off to only 1/4 on and the idle settles at 1300 +-, but the minute I turn off the choke it drops to under 500 and dies.

I've checked the tank and it isn't rusty.

Any other ideas before I give up and seek professional help (for the bike that is). ???

·
Registered
88 Posts
The idle jets are clogged, the cheap way is you can clean everything up, run some fine wire through the jets as long as the needle and seat is not worn and gaskets not deterioated from ethanol you should be fine, or get rebuilt kits for the carbs and go through them.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. BTW, the second I give it any throttle it dies (if idling around 1300). Does that any any way change your diagnosis? I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No, remove carbs clean all passages and jets with carb cleaner. With the choke on you are forcing the fuel into the motor that is why it runs otherwise it will stall.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. I thought I did a good job on the idle and main jets when I cleaned them, but I'll look at them again. I did make the mistake of skipping the slide needles, and considering how much green gunk were in the other jets, I better get after those as well.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Thanks again. I thought I did a good job on the idle and main jets when I cleaned them, but I'll look at them again. I did make the mistake of skipping the slide needles, and considering how much green gunk were in the other jets, I better get after those as well.
Did you take the idle mixture fuel screw out and clean in there??

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you take the idle mixture fuel screw out and clean in there??
No, I haven't pulled those out either. things I cleaned were the main and pilot jet and float bowls. I guess I'll get the drill out the plugs. It'll be good to set everything at 2.5 turns anyway.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
No, I haven't pulled those out either. things I cleaned were the main and pilot jet and float bowls. I guess I'll get the drill out the plugs. It'll be good to set everything at 2.5 turns anyway.

Thanks.
Bingo. :)
It's important when you clean carbs that you clean EVERYTHING. There's a good sticky that covers it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yep these guys set you up with the right info. Good luck and it always helps me to use the cylmer manual :)

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got the factory manual that everyone downloads off the net, but I'm thinking about getting the Clymer. Thoughts on if it's worh the $$? I plan on having this bike for a while (can't think of what else I'd rather have. OK, maybe fuel injection at this point :p ).

I'll post up how the second round of carb cleaning goes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you know anyone with an ultrasonic, run it through there. I used the one at my brothers shop (hot tank w/ simple green) and my carbs look like brand new.

-krw-

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am very interested in this is as well same symptoms, and I had a previously rusted tank. Did the por 15 treatment to it. But then it sat again.

I gave it new plugs and and swapped the gas out. It actually made it over from my old place to my new place, on old crap gas and old plugs, riding it with the choke partially on.

But I want to get it running right.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am very interested in this is as well same symptoms, and I had a previously rusted tank. Did the por 15 treatment to it. But then it sat again.

I gave it new plugs and and swapped the gas out. It actually made it over from my old place to my new place, on old crap gas and old plugs, riding it with the choke partially on.

But I want to get it running right.

Wow! Can't believe my thread still lives after almost three years.

To solve the problem I pulled the carbs again and did a VERY thorough job cleaning everything. It took some soaking in carb cleaner to get the mains clean and the slides were also a mess. I did NOT have to pull out the mixture screws.

After that it ran great and still does. I took her out yesterday for a couple hours of riding. Love this bike!

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
or post ho's....lol ijs....

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ok gonna relive this thread.... I think it's old gas and i could kick myself for not forcing him to swap gas.

Anyway, I clean and jetted my friends 00 SV and it started up just great and idled fine for about 5 mins. After 2 weeks waiting for new battery to come in he starts it today and it will barely stay on with choke fully on.

It started and ran fine for five mins after the cleaning/rejet but it was running on 2 year old gas... old gas clogged the sh!t up right?

Can we just drain the float bowls and gas tank and run fresh gas to see if that'll do the trick? I just wanted to confirm that old gas can do this to the carbs?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts