Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine found this thread on another board and sent me a link. Check it out... don't miss the video. clicky

That's my worst fear when riding the Dragon. They really should ban semis from that stretch road - because it's impossible for them to get through without crossing the centerline. Maybe they will after enough people are hurt/killed because of them. :evil:

·
Registered
110 Posts
thats crazy. just about my worst nightmare as well.

Can't believe the fn trucker didn't stop. The truck that hit me this year (not a semi) didn't stop either, they need to make hit and run a more serious crime. Especially for someone that holds a CDL--one move like this and you should never drive a truck again.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
:shock: The slow motion effect made it surreal. It scared me pretty good.

Josh

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Having had a similar semi surprise me at the dragon, it looks like the guy still had room to get by if he hadn't gotten spooked. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think semis should be banned from that stretch of Rt 129, but he had at least half a lane to get by, maybe 2/3 of a lane. His buddy posting on that other board was from Tampa, so something tells me the rider was a *little* out of his comfort zone on the dragon.

Still sucks, though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
orangegilly said:
Having had a similar semi surprise me at the dragon, it looks like the guy still had room to get by if he hadn't gotten spooked. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think semis should be banned from that stretch of Rt 129, but he had at least half a lane to get by, maybe 2/3 of a lane. His buddy posting on that other board was from Tampa, so something tells me the rider was a *little* out of his comfort zone on the dragon.

Still sucks, though.
Good to see faired well considering what could have happend.

Here is my question as a new rider (trying to take something from this other than just fear) - It seems like if he just stuck it out, he could have pulled through the turn if he back off the gas a touch and kept his lean...

Would that be a fair assessment?

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
From the video, it looks like he never attempted to get back on line. Once he stood it up, he tried to stop. Granted, I wasn't there so I don't know the whole situation, but it looked like he should have been able to at least attempt to get back on line and make the corner. He would have been near the edge of the road, but that's still ridable pavement.

Like i said, glad he's ok. I'd rather run off the road than hit a semi head-on anyday. As they say, hindsight is 20/20, but when on the dragon, you always get surprised by vehicles coming around blind corners. Everyone usually stands upright a little, then gets back into the lean. This guy didn't do that.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
At that speed - with the amount of time he had to make a decision - I'm not sure anyone would have done differently. Standing it up is a natural reaction. All I saw initially was GRILL.

I think we all would have stood up the bike - and with that, it was done. Besides - had he hugged the white line, it's likely he'd have found some gravel, a leaf or a stick to run over and POOF - high-speed lowside with an 18 wheeler next to you. I think he did the right - and ONLY thing he could have.

I'm not sure why tractor trailers are still permitted to run that road. It's physically impossible for them negotiate it without crossing all the way over - repeatedly.

The main issue is the fact that there is NO other way through that region without taking a multi-hour detour.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Too close to the limit

There is no excuse for any vehicle to ride past the yellow line, no argument.

However, the bike was riding close to the yellow line and the rider was not ready for encroachment. 129 is a public highway and should be ridden as any other public road, with caution and far enough within the rider's limits that corrections or stopping are a valid option. This stretch of road is known for this kind of problem.

It stinks that this biker wrecked, but the reality is that he (or she) was riding too far into their limits.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Here is my issue. Why do they ticket the hell out of bikes, sports cars etc for crossing the double yellow on that raod but not these trucks. I live in NC. and I have gone up to this raod only twice, one in my miata once on my SV. I have only done so twice b/c everyone I know how goes up there comes back with 1 or 2 tickets. As a semi driver WHY IN THE HELL would you even want to drive that road.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Oh yhea I forget to mention that I have never seen a semi on that road, was amazed by the pics on that tail of the dragon site, and had always just assumed no semis were allowed. I mean how stupid, it is like trying to drive a SUV around in your house.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Kevin said:
As a semi driver WHY IN THE HELL would you even want to drive that road.
I believe it shaves off a few hours to Knoxville.....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Here is my question as a new rider (trying to take something from this other than just fear) - It seems like if he just stuck it out, he could have pulled through the turn if he back off the gas a touch and kept his lean...
Backing off the gas would probably be a bad idea. Very good way to upset the bike. Ideally, if you could over come your panic at seeing an oncoming semi in your lane (not easy, :( :( :( ), you'd want to keep the throttle steady and apply more lean (assuming you had ground clearance left).

·
Registered
500 Posts
One thing I noticed watching the vid though was that initially the semi looked like it was going to swing much wider that it actually did which I am guess is hopefully b/c the driver of the truck had enough courtesy to steer back into the curve. Every situation that is real sticky that I have ever walked away from on my bike I never once arm-chair quarterbacked it the next day but rather just felt very proud of myself that I came out of it alive not paralyzed and w/o a busted up bike. I mean that is all you can really hope for. I hit a possum yesterday. I only had my throttle hand down and did have to to get my clutch and down to safely swerve so I hit the poor bastard dead one. Everything turned out better than expected and my bikes suspension swallowed it right up. I could have kicked myself for ridding one handed, not giving myself enough reaction time from the car in front of me to swerve, etc.. but I didn't. I took it as a lesson learned, not the hard way for once I might add, and I did notice myself ridding 2 handed more so today thought.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Fixing to head up that way soon and maybe I'm a bit mislead. My understanding is on the North Carolina side the road is marked NO SEMI's. But there are no such markers on this road from the Tennesee side.
Can anyone who has been up there verify this statement.
I also understand that in some areas there is a heavy Police presence. (Speed Traps)! Why the hell can't they stop the semi trucks before they even get started on that road. :x

·
Registered
127 Posts
dammm.... :shock:

that would be scary as hell! bet that rider, and maby semi driver, just lost a few years off their lives and gained a few grey hairs.

·
Registered
500 Posts
A1A... from what I understand the police presents goes in spurts from super heaver to slightly heavy depending on time of year or knowledge of certain events. I went once randomly on my SV and the presents was visible and once with the largest single group ever to go to the Tail which was a Miata group. Cops were lousy on the Miata day they had troopers form both states and a chopper that was giving tickets at the bottom of the Mt. for crossing the double yellow line. They even had speed cameras in the trees. This was however 3 years ago and 2 bikes and a Porsche 944 drver had just died at the Tail that season prior to the Miata event. If you do go A1A LMK I will try to meet you in Maggie Valley or something.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Interesting situation at the end of video

I wanted to watch again to see how much reaction time the rider had and noted something interesting. He actually cleared the nose of the truck and was still leaning over. The lean angle was not extreme. Then the bike stands up and goes right off the edge without slowing.

I'm not trying to second-guess the rider. When close calls happen the adrenaline gets rushing and natural reactions sometimes are not correct for the situation. Everyone who has a few years and a few thousand miles riding experience will know what I'm talking about. But it does look like the rider had time and maneuvering room to either make the corner or get the bike stopped or slowed considerably before running off the edge.

Again, I don't want to criticize the rider, but to emphasize how important it is to think about escape routes and plans of action ahead of time and while you're riding. Sometimes that's all it takes to change an accident into a close call.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only "good" thing about Semis on the Dragon is they go VERY, VERY slow. If you can't see through the corner you "should" be prepared to stop within your sight line.

I've ridden Deal's hundreds of times (I live less than 20 miles away) and have had to emergency stop countless times for all kinds of reasons. Wild and domestic animals, downed bikes, cars stopped in the road, etc. Semis are only one of many.

Remember, it's a public road. If you want to really go riding "hard" take it to a track.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Interesting situation at the end of video

andyauger said:
I wanted to watch again to see how much reaction time the rider had and noted something interesting. He actually cleared the nose of the truck and was still leaning over. The lean angle was not extreme. Then the bike stands up and goes right off the edge without slowing.

I'm not trying to second-guess the rider. When close calls happen the adrenaline gets rushing and natural reactions sometimes are not correct for the situation. Everyone who has a few years and a few thousand miles riding experience will know what I'm talking about. But it does look like the rider had time and maneuvering room to either make the corner or get the bike stopped or slowed considerably before running off the edge.

Again, I don't want to criticize the rider, but to emphasize how important it is to think about escape routes and plans of action ahead of time and while you're riding. Sometimes that's all it takes to change an accident into a close call.
That was also my first impression when I watched the video. There seemed to be enough paved road left on the right side to make that corner but it's hard to tell bc you only have the narrow view of the camera. And no matter how many times you tell yourself to expect a semi truck in the middle of your corner, it still takes you by surprise when the thing is actually there.
Glad he's ok.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the guy panic'd, he had plenty of room, he cleared the cab and had it made.

my experience with a semi on the dragon, I had much less room

1 - 20 of 35 Posts