Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Haven't been a poster her really, but I've lurked for quite a while on and off.

I was in an accident this June 17 and the bike has just enough damage for the opposing insurance company to total it. But, they will let me have it for $100 for salvage thus nocking off the $100 bucks from my property settlement. Is this a good thing? It sure sounds like it to me. Might part it out, might fix it, might sell it as a salvage bike to someone who wants it.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Only 100$? Everytime I hear of people buying back their bikes its usually around 700-800$. Sounds good to me, but really depends on condition of the bike itself. Plenty of racers out there looking for parts or even whole salvage bikes.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
How bad is it? That would be the determining factor for me.

BTW, Concord, OH? Like by Mentor? That's where my office is (till the end of the month when we move to Beachwood). So are you getting a new bike? There's a few of us who ride quite often in the Cleveland area, and we're always open to more.

·
Registered
158 Posts
They charged me like $1,200 for my buyback.
I just recieved the check in the mail today as a matter of fact.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oops, forgot to change my address location. It’s actually Brunswick, OH now. I just got married May 21, 2005. Right now, my wife and I are uncertain as to what we would like to do with the bike, but it will not be a road going bike for us just because of karma or whatever you'd like to call it. My leg is still healing and this was a tramatic experience. And to add to it my cousin died from the same type of motorcycle accident the week prior.

I might get the boot cast off this next Tuesday, July 26, but we’re not sure what the doc is going to say. I got lucky; all I have is a non-displaced fracture in my lower fibula and my lateral malleous, and then a handefull of nice semi deep abrasions to go with it. All injuries were on my left leg. A good lesson for wearing motorcycle pants in the future in addition to all the other body gear (which I was wearing). A driver turned left in front of me from the opposite direction and impact speed was estimated at 35-40mph (speed limit was 50mph). I had little more than 20ft to react.

Ok, the bike. It is a 2001 SV650, clean before impact. I had a Givi A750 windshield, fender extender, Givi trunk mount and E45 box, Suzuki DL650 handguards, and renthal handlebars. It had a clean 22k miles on her. Was getting ready to do a carb tune/sync.

It was not a straight head on impact. The left fork leg was hit along with the frame and swingarm. None of that damage is visibly imparing, have to check it closer. The left rearset was shearing in half literally removing as well with it the shifter linkage. Transmittion needs to be checked. Other than that the other damage is cosmetic including a dented gas tank, one broken turn signal, tiny dent in exhaust (should check pipe and mounts for alignment), broken handguard (yes handguards), unknown windshield damage (Givi A750), small scrape in rear plastic. The Givi trunk box and rear mount seem to be good as well as the renthal handlebars. Those are the things I know about right now. The bike should be in my posession in the next week I’d imagine. The insurance company is taking care of the paper work for it right now.

Dan

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
You should keep it for the $100 and put it on Ebay or part it out.

I'd definitely give you a couple bucks for it and pick it up...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
if i had the garage space to put up a bike while parting it out, i'd definitely buy it back for $100 and do it.

something like the givi case alone would come pretty close to making your money back

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dan, I am very sorry to hear about your cousin. :( My condolence to you and your family.

And I hope you heal quickly.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everybody!

I'd like to thank you all for the responses. I'm going to retain the bike from salvage. Then I'm going to sit on it possibly for a little bit until I decide what to do with it. If I'm going to sell it or it in parts I'll let you guys here know first of course.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
If you want any help with the tear-down or analysis, let me know. I could easily (probably) get wacky_woodchuck and Matt McHenry to lend a hand. We're all fairly accomplished SV wrenches. Just let any of us know if you need help. Heck, we may want some of the good parts if you do indeed part it out. :D

Heal up fast, and like others have said, my condolences for your cousin.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again,

Thanks Orangegilly and the others mentioned. Also, thank you all for your kind words for my cousin.

The bike was dropped off Friday evening and I took a close look at it today. Kinda scratching my head a little for the somewhat lack of any serious damage. The forks seem ok and slide smooth, the renthal bars are straight, the handguards were sacraficed for the levers, and the transmission seems to be good. Obvious damage is the dent in the tank which is still functional, the sheared rearset and bent shifter arm, paint transfer on the frame, one broken turn signal, and a tiny ding in the exhaust can. Might put her back together and reinstate the title to sell her whole considering how little it would take to do that. I think it's between that and keeping it for a track bike for me if I still want to ride, but not on the steet. Still think it's too early to decide. Doctor's appointment this Tuesday where I might get the boot cast left off, but then the muscles/tendons/ligaments have to come back to play. And oh fun, they haven't fully evaluated my knee as of yet. I got it by a Pontiac Aztec, so my whole leg got the slam between and my knee also hit the bars on my way to flying.

Catch ya guys later,
Dan

Damn I type too much, sorry all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts