Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not be on-line for the last two weeks as I am recovering from a serious accident with a pick-up on June 21st. I was riding down Hwy#53 in the Ancaster area at about 4:20 pm when a pick-up truck pulled out from a side road without looking right into my path. I "T" boned the truck at about 60 -65 kph. On inpact I was thrown backwards in the air and landed about 10 feet away. I was wearing full gear and an Arai helmet and my only injury was a broken left femur. To fix the leg they put a steel rod down the middle of the bone and a series of screws to hold it all together. I spent 6 days in the Hamilton General and I have been home now for 9 days. There is quite a bit of pain but I am improving every day. At the doctors visit today he said that I am looking at a full recovery but it will take 3-4 months. I now must decide what to do about riding. I want to get back to it as soon as possible but I need to keep in mind that I could have been killed and I have a wife a two children to think about. Imput from the GTA members would be welcome. I would really like to hear from anyone who found themselves in my situation.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i personally have had a few close calls but have never been down. so, i can't really comment. i will say, however, that you know first hand what can happen. it would really suck to get back into riding just to have something really bad happen. you've got to think about your kids. there is really nothing you can do to prevent something like that from happening again if you were to get back into riding. what does your wife think you should do?

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
lawnboy1956 said:
At the doctors visit today he said that I am looking at a full recovery but it will take 3-4 months.
Sorry to hear about your bike but that's great news about making a full recovery. :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Good to know that you will be OK. Sorry about your leg, that sucks.

Happiness in life can be found in many different activities: motorcycles, a garden, your wife and children, pets, etc. etc. etc. etc. The list is long and different for evey one of us, there is no right or wrong answer. If you want to stop riding, it only means that there are other things in your life that are more important to you than the motorcycle (at least right now, it may change in the future again). Even when I hope you don't give the motorcycle up, I would certainly understand if you do.

It is not only about being passionate about the bike, it's about being passionate about life, and there are more in life than the bike. I hope this makes sense.

Marcos

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
lawnboy1956-- Glad you're not hurt worse than you are (Hooray for gear!).

As for the ride/don't ride question:

What's the hurry?

You've got a minimum of three months before you will be able to ride again, should you choose to. Given your location, realistically you're probably looking at spring of '06 as a return-to-riding date.

Slow down: Assess the riding situation. Discuss with your wife. But think on this: if you stop riding (or anything for that matter) only because your wife wants you to, you will be miserable and begrudge her for that for a long time. You have to want to give up riding because YOU think that's best for all concerned. If street riding is out, can you get your throttle fix at track days?

I'm not from Toronto, however, so all of the previous might be b.s.

HTH

·
Registered
359 Posts
The question comes to mind - what kind of riding where you doing at the point?

My guess is you used you bike as a commuter(this is what I am baseing responce on - sorry if I am wrong) - If motorcycles is a passion of your's, don't drop it all together. Change how you handle that passion. Only for fun... do that.

The fact that you are thinking about changing you riding and all shows that you will be safer if you do decide to ride again - Learn to watch mirror and so forth. The truth is, if you ride like everyone is going to pull out on you - you would have been preped for him to have (not pointing blame, just trying to make a point)

Do what you think will be best in the long run! Talk with the wife and really sit and think about motorcycles and what they mean to you.

Good to hear you are still in rather good health.. best with the the recover!
You have time to think it over - so don't rush. Just focus on getting back to good for now! Best of luck! :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Get well - do the rehab, and let some time go by before you talk to your wife and kids about riding again - let them recover as well.

I am also married with two kids and share the concern of providing for a family. I can say that I am sure that your family was very concerned about you initially before they knew the extent of your injuries, while you were in the hospital recovering, and continue to be concerned while you are limping arround. It may take some time to find out how worried they actuyally were and how that worry has affected their view of your sport/hobbie.

I am sure that once everyone has recovered you will be tooling down the road in your new set of wheels.

V

·
0 Posts
I'm repeating advice given to me by my friends on this board, following my crash back in May, but definitely follow your doctor's advice as far as waiting to heal properly, don't fight it too much, and be patient. If you get back on the bike too early, pain/discomfort really suck the fun right out of it.
The thing that I was not prepared for when I got back on the bike was the mental impact. I've been riding for years, but the first ride following my recovery was anything but fun. Motorcycles and riding are definitely a passion for me, but I scared the crap out of myself for the first half hour or so, and rode like I just got my learner's permit. If you decide to ride again, and I hope you do, be patient with yourself. I had to keep reminding myself that I knew what I was doing, and to trust the machine beneath me. I finally feel at this point that I'm comfortable again, but it took a couple of hours to get there.
I've also decided for at least the time being that I won't be commuting on the bike. I want to keep bikes as something that I do for fun, not something that I have to do to get to work.
Quick recovery, take care, do whatever PT your doctors tell you, and when you re-mount, remember to have fun.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Glad you are ok!

Questions: Did you see the truck before he pulled out, and if so, where you looking at his front wheels before he pulled out? Or did he suddenly appear in your path?

I'd like to learn from others mishaps as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
sorry to hear about your crash but I am glad that your leg will make a full recovery.
Only you can make the decision that is right for you - but don't rush to that decision.

S

·
0 Posts
Glad to hear your ok. I can understand your thoughts because you have a wife and two kids. We all know we take a risk when riding on two wheels. Just remember that motorcyclist's are not the only ones who get in accidents. Lifes a gamble anything can happin at anytime, no one knows the future. The main thing is that God was with you when you had the accident. The most important thing is you still have your life, friends and family. Good luck and Godbless for whatever decision you make.

S

·
0 Posts
I can feel your dilemma.
I myself just crashed 2 weeks ago. not as serious as you did though, & sort of having the same problem.
My girlfriend stated the she would not like me to get another bike, since I totalled this.
I ve already have an urge to ride again, so I dont know yet what direction I will go...
I"d really like to ride again for at least until we"ll have a baby.
that will probably change things.
I am glad to hear that your gear held up well,& you came out of this accident w/ a single broken bone.
I had also broken my leg , & was srewed together like yours is now.
My healed completely,the only period sucked while in plaster & after will be painful for a couple of weeks b/c the muscles are not in use.
I think someone have said it in a post, dont rush with your decision, U ve got a few months to see & choose wisely to ride or not in the future.
good luck w/ your recovery.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Glad you're ok and we're wearing gear. Hope you have a speedy recovery. I've never been down.....knock on wood and have no kids. But I couldn't imagine life w/out riding.....I'd have to find a new hobby....fast! As I would not be happy. Personally I would get back on the bike if you really enjoy it. But if you can live without it and want to insure no more bike accidents than stop riding....at least for now. Get well soon!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
faelyur said:
i personally have had a few close calls but have never been down. so, i can't really comment. i will say, however, that you know first hand what can happen. it would really suck to get back into riding just to have something really bad happen. you've got to think about your kids. there is really nothing you can do to prevent something like that from happening again if you were to get back into riding. what does your wife think you should do?
She is leaving it up to me, but I know that she would love to tell me no more!, but she won't. Having this good of a wife makes it more difficult.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Marcos Santiago said:
Good to know that you will be OK. Sorry about your leg, that sucks.

Happiness in life can be found in many different activities: motorcycles, a garden, your wife and children, pets, etc. etc. etc. etc. The list is long and different for evey one of us, there is no right or wrong answer. If you want to stop riding, it only means that there are other things in your life that are more important to you than the motorcycle (at least right now, it may change in the future again). Even when I hope you don't give the motorcycle up, I would certainly understand if you do.

It is not only about being passionate about the bike, it's about being passionate about life, and there are more in life than the bike. I hope this makes sense.

It does. I want with every fibre of my being to get back riding, but this accident has effected my 12 year old son much more than me. It's him I must think about first.
Marcos

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Six Chin Skinny said:
lawnboy1956-- Glad you're not hurt worse than you are (Hooray for gear!).

As for the ride/don't ride question:

What's the hurry?

You've got a minimum of three months before you will be able to ride again, should you choose to. Given your location, realistically you're probably looking at spring of '06 as a return-to-riding date.

Slow down: Assess the riding situation. Discuss with your wife. But think on this: if you stop riding (or anything for that matter) only because your wife wants you to, you will be miserable and begrudge her for that for a long time. You have to want to give up riding because YOU think that's best for all concerned. If street riding is out, can you get your throttle fix at track days?

I'm not from Toronto, however, so all of the previous might be b.s.

Actually you are right on the money. I my case it's not my wife who would stop me it's my commitment to my children. My 12 year old son has been more effected by this accident than me.

HTH

1 - 20 of 39 Posts