Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever bought a bike without a title. I am looking into an 82 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim for my buddy. The deal is, the guys selling the bike loaned a guy 600 bucks and as collateral held his motorcycle. This was four years ago and the guy who borrowed the money has not been heard from. So now the guy selling wants to get rid of this bike (he own a large horse ranch and it just takes up room in his pole barn) but he has no title. We are a bit perplexed because this is a real nice bike and a real good deal as far as only paying 500 bucks for it. Let me know if anyone knows anything.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
International and Broadway title can do it.
You can do it through your local courts too but the title services are easier.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you purchase a bike subject to a security interest the security interest will follow the property in most cases. E.g., even after you purchase the bike, for value, if the loanor has a perfected security interest he can still repossess the property if the seller/debtor is in default on the original loan.

It has been a long time since I studied secured transactions, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. The way to protect yourself is to call or go to your local sec. of state office and do a search for a filed security interest under the present owners name and address. If none comes up (it is very doubtful that the loaner actually filed for a $600/loan), as a bona fide purchaser you will take free of any unfiled security interest.

Also, even if he filed the security interest, I believe they must be renewed with the sec. of state every 5-years. So, if its almost 5 years, that is another possible protection.

Regarding the titling process, I agree with the above poster. You can petition the court under a quiet title action, or use a title service. If you have no experience in the legal system, the latter is the easier option.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm sorry, I just realized that my long winded answer in no way answered you question (I had my facts backwards).

If the seller basically repossessed the bike, then its not a big deal. I'd call a title service in advance to find out how much it will cost you though.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input.
I am not sure how formal this "loan" was considering the situation as whole. I don't think he has any paperwork that shows evidence of the loan or the terms of it.
I am hoping that we can find some sort of loop-hole to get this bike and then use a title service to make it all official. I would hate for any legal issues to arrise out of this. Especially since this bike is being purchased for very little money and we are just gonna rip it apart and turn it into a hooligan machine.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
:x luckily in NH, vehicles older than 10 years are not required to have a title, the only vehicl I own that has a title is my SV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts