Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '01 SVN is currently starting then dying about a second later. With the choke I can get it to run for maybe about two seconds, but same result. Giving it some throttle seems to make it die faster. As soon as it dies out, all the indicator lights come on (gas, neutral oil) as if I never started it. No smell of gas, no fluids on the ground. The first time I tried to start it, the bike ran for a few seconds, then each time I've tried to start since then, it runs even less.

A little history:
I got my the bike a little over a month ago from a friend. It had been sitting in storage for about 2 years so I took it to the shop to get the carbs cleaned out, tank drained, new battery, etc (friend paid for it woot!). Got it back from the shop, ran fine, took it out for a ride and dropped it :(. Had to get a replacement shifter, finally got around to putting it on today, after three weeks of the bike sitting.

Before I call the shop in the morning and tell the guy he did a crappy job (in not so many words), is there something I can do to help diagnose the problem? I'd like to know what's going on before I send it back to the shop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Based on my experience with old Brit bikes, you might find that some rust has dropped across the fuel outlet of your tank.
I had an old BSA 650 twin that suffered from the same problem some years ago, after sitting in the shed with no fuel for two weeks, while I went international jet setting. Got back, wife did a lospeed drop pushing it out of the shed and a problem with symptoms similar to yours.
Also you might want to check the vacuum operated fuel tap. One of the hoses could have slipped off or jarred off enough to give you the problem you describe.
Good luck mate.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hrm, it does sound like the engine isn't getting any fuel. I paid the mechanic to clean out the tank so I'm thinking it isn't debris in there, but then again I did drop the bike.

It's times like these that I wish I didn't live in an apartment and was able to do more work on the bike myself. :(

·
Registered
157 Posts
out of fuel?? once i ran out of gas and this is what happened.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lifted the tank and checked the hoses, all the connections feel nice and tight. There's still a bit of gas sloshing around in the tank, so if there's not enough in there to run the engine then my fuel indicator light is broken and I'll need to have that fixed (I'm forgetful and without a little light to remind me, I won't get gas). :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check for rust in the tank? Mine sat for a similar amount of time and I soon found that the tank was VERY rusted. Clean the carbs as much as you want, but with a rusted tank, they will be clogged again in short notice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Definitely check the tank and that your carbs are getting fuel. Check the vacuum petcock that controls the fuel delivery to the carbs; it can cause major grief especially if any debris gets in. Also, while you start it, do smell gas at the exhaust or not?

If your tank is rusted, not too badly- you can but a kit called Kreem/Kreme I believe. It will clean up the rust via acid wash and final step is applying a polymer that coats the inside of the tank preventing future rust formation. Very good stuff and might cost $40 for the kit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts