Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am getting ready for winter here, I just picked up[ a 03 Sv1ks, and looking to buy a set of front and rear stands, and looking fo suggestions on one's folks here have use and like
plan to store the bike in a pole barn I have concrete floor, not heated
so plan to lift, plug the pipes(use dirt bike exhaust plugs for yrs to keep mice and what nots out)
and a cover
will give it a good cleaning,/wax, change oil and filter before parking,
but would like to have it on stands too

so what stands, and frame sliders do you's recommend??
thanks

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I have and regularly use three different brands: pit bull, t-rex, and motion pro. I would trust any one of them to over winter my bike, but when it comes right down to it, the pitbull is the best set and the one I keep my race bike on constantly. I strongly encourage you to spend the money and get good stands. You will realize how nice they are as soon as you put a wrench on a bike on a cheap stand.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thanks guys for the opinions, and I agree you many times get what you pay for

I did see these on e bay, and have a life time warrenty
what do you's think , due to they come as a set
and last I want the front stand that lifts from the steering post, and these have that and again decent deal I think, but don't know if there cheasy or not
so opinions would be nice, and if not these where is the best place to buy the suggestions you gave me

(minus the superstore site)
Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSXR-600-75...0295&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with fastlil1 that pitbull are the best stands you can buy. For me, they are worth the $ as they will outlast my bikes. I have heard good things about T-Rex stands. The few people I have talked to are all happy with them and say they are good for the $.

http://www.t-rex-racing.com/

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
I have and regularly use three different brands: pit bull, t-rex, and motion pro. I would trust any one of them to over winter my bike, but when it comes right down to it, the pitbull is the best set and the one I keep my race bike on constantly. I strongly encourage you to spend the money and get good stands. You will realize how nice they are as soon as you put a wrench on a bike on a cheap stand.
This.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Woodcraft stands are also quality pieces. The problem with a lifetime warranty on a product bought on Ebay is what do you do when something goes wrong? Do you have to pay for shipping to return, prove that you didn't cause the problem, etc? I bought Woodcraft stands because they were local when I lived in Boston. I usually stick with name brands. Another issue with stands is when working on your bike, do the legs of the stands get in the way of certain components such as caliper bolts, etc. Some stands are better suited for just holding up the bike vs actually working on the bike. Lifetime warranties for any product are only good if the company is still in business down the road when something goes wrong.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Woodcraft stands are also quality pieces. The problem with a lifetime warranty on a product bought on Ebay is what do you do when something goes wrong? Do you have to pay for shipping to return, prove that you didn't cause the problem, etc? I bought Woodcraft stands because they were local when I lived in Boston. I usually stick with name brands. Another issue with stands is when working on your bike, do the legs of the stands get in the way of certain components such as caliper bolts, etc. Some stands are better suited for just holding up the bike vs actually working on the bike. Lifetime warranties for any product are only good if the company is still in business down the road when something goes wrong.
This is why stem stands will always be better - a bunch of those potential issues are removed.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Not sure if they make them anymore, but I have never had any issues with Handy Industries stands. If I have to take forks off, I suspend from a ladder with straps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ptbull is where it is at. I have them for my track ride and they as one other poster advised have outlasted my bike.

Never trie the Trex or woodcraft so I cant lend anything other then I have seen them both at the track.

This year I did pick up a set of those ebay stands. They are bolted together and nowhere near as sturdy as the pitbulls. I dont have any complaints about them but you do get what you pay for. Mine are going to be used to store my wifes bike for winter but never any regular up and downs and certainly not working hardcore on it while on stands.

I also belive Pitbull is made right here in the good ol US of A.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got Handy lifts, Harbor Freight low profile aluminum rear stands that work fine. I'm gonna purchase Pit Bull stands this winter. I have 7 street bikes that need to stand upright and to pitbull all of them would pay for a project finish. Harbor Freight rear stands are $30 but a good front stand is in the works for winter fork work.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Well I went and bought a set of Pit Bulls! I also have a rear Harbor Freight stand, the steel one, not aluminum. I am also using a set of T Rex stands to hold my buddy's bike, they're his stands. This past weekend I decided to throw the SV on the T Rex stands and the rear stand promptly twisted. :tard: I promptly put my buddy's GSXR on my $30 HF stand and that was so much more stable than the T Rex. Will I sit on a bike being held by my HF stand? No. I don't think it can hold my 250lb frame sitting on the bike but I was amazed at the stability over the T Rex! I'm tempted to contact T Rex about this twisting issue. I do all the maintenance on his GSXR so I need him to have a stable stand when I'm at his place working! Pit Bull FTW!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts