Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I let my bike sit for a year. Lame, I know, but I'm getting back into it. That is, if I can get it started. It's an 07 naked. I've searched for what to do, tried it, and no luck so far.

First the battery was low, so I threw it on a tender and it has plenty of juice now. At that point the engine would turn over, but not fire. Pulled the front plug, it's a bit black but it's sparking, didn't look like the rear plug was easy to get to so I didn't bother since it was obvious neither cylinder was firing. Called up the local shop, guy suggested starter fluid - that got it to fire, but it wouldn't run. The tank was mostly empty so I added two gallons and some heet to take out any water buildup/help clean the system. No noticable change from the new gas/heet.

The bike will fire up pretty quick, revs up a bit like I remember it always doing, but then when it tries to drop back to idle it dies, only runs about 5 sec. Giving it gas usually just makes it die faster, although I've gotten it up to about 4k-5k, but it won't stay there, just dies again. After a couple of starts I have to spray in more starter fluid or it stops wanting to fire at all, like before.

I'm out of ideas, your thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
WARNING!!!! This only my opinion and is not based on your specific model but on general experience over the years.

my guess is you're going to have to drain the tank completely, rinse it out and install it. If the bike has a fuel filter you'll probably have to change it. If it still won't stay running I would guess, hooking a fuel injection cleaning bottle to the system and run it off that to clena the injectors. Plugs wouldn't hurt either.

WARNING!!! Only a general opnion

good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll try the seafoam, hoping to avoid draining the tank...

Don't think it matters, but in case you're wondering, both headers were warm after it tried to start so I know that both cylinders are firing - plus it sounds normal, at least for the two seconds before it starts to die.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
You probably have some water in the tank, caused by storing it almost empty. Big mistake. Heet and Seafoam could work, but if I were you I'd drain the tank. Just pull the fuel hose from the petcock, install another hose for draining, pull a vacuum on the petcock. Be sure to drain into an appropriate container. Then put the additive in with fresh gas.

·
Registered
647 Posts
yea like the others have already said try the seafoam. if that doesnt work i would drain the gas. if that doesnt work i would throw in some new plugs and check the coils for corrosion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts