Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before two weeks ago, the bike fired up with absolutely no problems.

Now it turns over free of any obstructions from what I can tell. But, regardless of how I set the choke, it just turns and turns. There's no sputtering, hiccuping or backfiring.

It was outside for two rainstorms but I doubt that is much of an issue considering it's been parked uncovered for a year with no such problems.

Checked the tank and there's plenty of fuel. All of the electronics seem to function fine.

I have a very limited array of tools since my entire Craftsman collection was stolen last spring. I'm wondering what I can check first before having to dig deeper.

Help

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
First guess is low battery. Try jumping it from a (non-running) car.

Second guess is water in the gas from a leaky fuel filler cap. Try some Seafoam in the gas, or siphon out the old gas and replace it with fresh gas.

Third guess is wet wires and weak or no spark. Check your leads.

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
My second gen does the same thing, even with a fully charged battery. I've found that if I roll on some throttle it will eventually fire up.

Under normal circumstances, I never have to use any throttle to start, only when it's been sitting.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My bike sat for a few weeks not too long ago. Was acting just like you're describing. It would turn and turn but never crank. Went to the store and bought a battery charger and a new battery. Ended up taking the battery back. I would try a battery tender first, and if that doesn't work, you're gonna need a new battery.

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
My bike sat for a few weeks not too long ago. Was acting just like you're describing. It would turn and turn but never start. Went to the store and bought a battery charger and a new battery. Ended up taking the battery back. I would try a battery tender first, and if that doesn't work, you're gonna need a new battery.
Fixed it for you.

(Crank means to turn over; it doesn't mean start.)

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I honestly think the battery is fine. It cranks without hesitation. But I'll take it out and bring it in to get tested.

·
Registered
368 Posts
When I had my carbed Toyota truck, I had to prime the carburator by pumping the gas pedal 2-3 times to get it started, after it sat for more than a few days. Do you need to do the same with a carbed bike?

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I tried every method of fuel delivery. Be it through the choke or slightly opening the throttle. There's nothing there. I don't know if it's a lack of fuel or a complete lack of spark.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
pull a spark plug and check it for raw fuel. if it's wet it usually means it's getting fuel but no spark. plug the wire back on and crank it with the plug next to the engine to see if there is spark jumping from the plug to ground. (actually don't have to pull the plug out if you have an old plug lying around just plug that one into a wire to test.)

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's either not getting fuel ( do you smell fuel from exhaust pipe?), or not getting a spark. Disconnect the wire from the plug and check for sparks. Problem solved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts