Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 SV100S with only 9k miles on it. It has mostly sat for the past 2 years. When it first started to sit 2 years ago, I put Stabil in the tank and put her to bed. Then, last Spring I rode her around the block a few times, drained the gas, refilled with Stabil, and did an oil change. Then, she sat again with the trickle charger on.

Now, I just took her out of her slumber again and drained the gas. I've now put some miles on her and I'm having a problem. Everything is fine for the first 15-20 minutes until the bike warms up to about 185F and then the bike loses all power. I can accelerate off of the line, but I get to about 25mph and 5k RPMs and then the bike revs without any power. I thought it must be a fuel problem. So, I put some Seafoam in the tank and rode it another 25 miles. No change. So, I then drained the tank again and put fresh 91 octane in (I usually use 87). Still, no change. There are no error codes on the bike.

I'm now left wondering if this is a fuel system problem, a clutch problem, or maybe a spark problem (all 3 possible types). Before I start to tear this bike down, I thought I'd ask the wisdom of the group if there are any easy things to check for or diagnose? Too much oil? Oil type not compatible with wet clutch? I usually use Valvoline 10W-40, but I can't confirm or deny that's what I used unfortunately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
7,017 Posts
I have a 2006 SV100S with only 9k miles on it. It has mostly sat for the past 2 years. When it first started to sit 2 years ago, I put Stabil in the tank and put her to bed. Then, last Spring I rode her around the block a few times, drained the gas, refilled with Stabil, and did an oil change. Then, she sat again with the trickle charger on.

Now, I just took her out of her slumber again and drained the gas. I've now put some miles on her and I'm having a problem. Everything is fine for the first 15-20 minutes until the bike warms up to about 185F and then the bike loses all power. I can accelerate off of the line, but I get to about 25mph and 5k RPMs and then the bike revs without any power. I thought it must be a fuel problem. So, I put some Seafoam in the tank and rode it another 25 miles. No change. So, I then drained the tank again and put fresh 91 octane in (I usually use 87). Still, no change. There are no error codes on the bike.

I'm now left wondering if this is a fuel system problem, a clutch problem, or maybe a spark problem (all 3 possible types). Before I start to tear this bike down, I thought I'd ask the wisdom of the group if there are any easy things to check for or diagnose? Too much oil? Oil type not compatible with wet clutch? I usually use Valvoline 10W-40, but I can't confirm or deny that's what I used unfortunately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Have you checked the air filter and snorkel? With the amount of sitting it has done it's possible something has made a home in the airbox.

Have you checked the battery voltage before starting? Low voltage can cause odd running problems. You should have 12.7V or more before starting. Checking during cranking should show over 10V.

I don't think any of the issues are related to your oil, but is the Valvoline 10W-40 a cycle-specific or auto oil? I definitely would NOT use a standard automotive oil in it. Shell Rotella T6 is a good/safe choice if you don't want to go full cycle-specific due to cost.

Use Techron instead of Seafoam for a fuel system cleaner. It's better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Spark plugs might be done. I had a problem recently where stop and go AFTER highway riding led to stalling at low idles. I replaced my plugs today and the bike ran better. I'd also turned my carb pilots down. Ignition coils. I had a problem where the bike would crap out after warming up for five minutes. I had to emergency replace them before a long trip twice. Now I have dynacoils.
regards, onplanners

1 - 3 of 3 Posts