Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has about 5600 on the clock. I've noticed over the one month of riding it that it will occasionally backfire slightly, I just shrugged it off for a while until yesterday when I was sitting at a light. It turns green I take a left in 1st going about 8-10mph and all of a sudden the bike just shuts off and I had to start it while turning in traffic :( Thought I was gonna make something bad happen but nothing did. Anyhow, what should I do/check? I'm thinking about just bringing it in to the shop and have them tune it up but the tune up isn't until 7500 miles. I just don't want to start replacing the wrong shit on my bike, costing me money in the long run. That said, I also don't want this happening again. Any suggestions? Clean carb, change sparkplug?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Need some more info. You said it stalled when you took off in 1st gear, 8-10 mph. Did you notice if everything electrical went off or did just the engine die?
Did it start right up again?
Did you have the clutch in when it stalled?

Mikemo

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mikemo said:
Need some more info. You said it stalled when you took off in 1st gear, 8-10 mph. Did you notice if everything electrical went off or did just the engine die?
Did it start right up again?
Did you have the clutch in when it stalled?

Mikemo
It wasn't an issue of not giving it enough gas, everything just shut off. Not sure about electrical because it started back up after 2 tries. The first try nothing, second and final try it started and I gave it immediate gas. No, I didn't have the clutch in because like I said I was making my turn already and accelerating when it shut off. Wierd.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
almost sounds like something in the fuel delivery to me... bad gas, carb problem, fuel line problem etc. Maybe runs some carb cleaner through it

have you done any mods to carbs?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
syntheticton said:
almost sounds like something in the fuel delivery to me... bad gas, carb problem, fuel line problem etc. Maybe runs some carb cleaner through it

have you done any mods to carbs?
no mods, just got the bike. should i replace the plugs AND clean the carb?

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I would try plugs first... it could be a bad plug. Those are the easiest to try. Then if that doesn't seem to help... maybe try cleaning carbs if have the time and ability to do so. I think the dealer in my area wanted $150 to clean and sync carbs on my SV last time I asked. Not horrible but... if you can do it yourself... that is a lot of savings ;)

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
it could be possible previous owner tried to rejet carbs too maybe and didn't get the right setup... did it have aftermarket pipe or air filter? if so... that is good clue that it probably has been jetted. just an idea as you said you just got it and you did no mods... do you know if he did?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
syntheticton said:
it could be possible previous owner tried to rejet carbs too maybe and didn't get the right setup... did it have aftermarket pipe or air filter? if so... that is good clue that it probably has been jetted. just an idea as you said you just got it and you did no mods... do you know if he did?
A guy bought it new, then a girl owned it, I bought it off her. I'm not sure if it's been tampered with or not. I'm going to buy and replace the plugs tonight to see if that helps. If not, then I'll go to the carb cleaning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts