Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yall

2 issues:
1. recently my 2000 sv has been pulling forward even when i have my clutch engaged. i have no problems with this in neutral. i can even feel the bike try to move forward when i give it a little gas and am holding the clutch in.
i have read around that this often occurs after an oil change. why? what oil should i be using? i used mobil1 racing 4t 10w-40. i dont race, its my day to day wheels.
ive also read that it could be clutch plates. warped? how will i be able to tell?
adjusting the cable at the clutch lever does very little to resolve the problem.

2. i can pop the bike into neutral when im down shifting arriving at a light. ill be in first and as i coast i can easily pop the bike into neutral. if i am stopped and in first and have the clutch in, it is impossible to pop into neutral. i tested the waters and have pulled up as hard as possible with my foot and the foot lever is more likely to bend a bit before i can get it into neutral.

any suggestions? im thinkin ill check out the clutch plates, but why did the first issue pop up when i changed my oil (not filter though)? the bike is my daily ride, so how long will it take me to get to those plates? (ive been almost everywhere in the bike).

thanks dudes!

brett.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Does it pull when the bike's cold or warmed up too?

Try rolling the bike back and forth a bit to get the bike into neutral when at a stop. Or rev a few hundred rpms while you pull up on the pedal.

What's your oil level at when the bike is standing up?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
The neutral thing is normal and common.
The creep sounds like a clutch adjustment is needed like drinkbrew suggested.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I recently had this too and I found my friends brutale had it while clutched in in first so I thought it was normal. I adjusted the cable last saturday while I was cleaning the chain and the wheel completely stops when I clutch in. Dunno why but oh well. Explains why I had such a pia experience reversing out of spots cause I was fighting the bike too.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
wet clutch will have fluid friction, especially when cold, totally normal

if it didn't try creeping when cold, I would suspect something wrong

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the bike will move forward even after ive been riding for an hour. sometimes its so tough that i have to use the brake to keep the bike in place and i can even feel it trying to surge forward with a bit of throttle and sometimes just with the engine idling.

a few of yall have said "adjust the clutch" what specifically do you mean? i suppose you dont mean at the clutch lever since ive already tinkered with that and that that isnt really a solution zone anyways.

drinkbrew: ill check out the mantra thread. looks like that could help out some.

cerealninjakilla: reversing is a ***** at this point. i hear ya.

onecartel: ive revved and done as much as i know to do to be able to pop into neutral. all that helps is killing the engine, letting go of the clutch lever, and then popping into neutral. the oil level is probably over 75% full at this point as i just refilled it about 2 weeks ago. it was sitting just at the bottom line and i nearly filled it.

dan46n2: it seems strange to me that this would be totally normal. while it has been happening to me for some time, popping into neutral is never a problem on my harley and i used to be able to smoothly get into neutral before. maybe its because the clutch just has a whole lot more wear and tear on it than it did when i got the bike.

so it sounds like it may not be the plates but is the clutch...anything in particular i should be on the look out for? ill try to get inside it this weekend. its hard to mess around on your daily ride!

·
Registered
125 Posts
My 99 does this as well. I've adjusted the nuts on the cable at the top and bottom a couple times and got it as perfect as I think I can. Mine will drag when I 1st put it in gear. Stop at a stop light later or pull in home and it doesn't drag anymore.
I was hoping it was a normal thing for SV's. I had a DR650 and that thing sounded like cr ap when you would shift into 1st from neutral.

Drag normal for the SV?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My SV did the same thing. Turned out the clutch cable was out of adjustment so it never fully disengaged. Proper adjustment to cable, problem solved

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
hey yall

2 issues:
1. recently my 2000 sv has been pulling forward even when i have my clutch engaged. i have no problems with this in neutral. i can even feel the bike try to move forward when i give it a little gas and am holding the clutch in.
i have read around that this often occurs after an oil change. why? what oil should i be using? i used mobil1 racing 4t 10w-40. i dont race, its my day to day wheels.
ive also read that it could be clutch plates. warped? how will i be able to tell?
adjusting the cable at the clutch lever does very little to resolve the problem.

2. i can pop the bike into neutral when im down shifting arriving at a light. ill be in first and as i coast i can easily pop the bike into neutral. if i am stopped and in first and have the clutch in, it is impossible to pop into neutral. i tested the waters and have pulled up as hard as possible with my foot and the foot lever is more likely to bend a bit before i can get it into neutral.

any suggestions? im thinkin ill check out the clutch plates, but why did the first issue pop up when i changed my oil (not filter though)? the bike is my daily ride, so how long will it take me to get to those plates? (ive been almost everywhere in the bike).

thanks dudes!

brett.
It's already been suggested, but I would check the clutch adjustment. I think that procedure is in the service manual.

The other thing I would do...change your oil and filter. Use something that is recommended in the service manual or your owners manual. I have no idea if the oil you used is kosher for use in a motorbike or not. But that is something that I would check.

Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
great suggestions, i really appreciate it. new filter, new oil, and clutch adjustment on the way!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not to get off topic but one of you can answer this quik and easy.
What wt oil do most use in the SV? 10w40?
How much?
Part # for an oil filter from a local auto parts store?
I haven't changed the oil yet. Maybe it's too full and giving me the drag...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I use 5W 40 (synthetic), but if you don;t go to this when bike new, it will be too thin and you will use oil. I never leave it in beyond 3000 miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
All sounds pretty normal to me. As previously stated, for the moving forward problem an adjustment should help and rev it a little to get back into neutral.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so ive done a clutch adjustment at the lever and at the clutch and havent had much change. i will start next with changing the oil filter and the oil.
whats the reasoning behind the oil change? as far as i remember this may have started when i filled my oil tank. i do believe i overfilled it, but what does oil have to do with the clutch and the bike trying to move forward with the clutch engaged?
any chance i need a new clutch cable? i havent removed it, but both ends look good, and the clutch assembly (arm, spring, cable, etc) all look good.

looking in the haynes manual, the instructions say to adjust the arm so that the angle between the arm and the cable is 80-85 deg. anyone have any comments on that? if you break it into quadrants with the arm and the cable, the upper left quadrant should ideally be a bit obtuse right? juuuust past 90 deg...?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm going to say it's normal until the bike gets nice and warm. I changed my oil and filter and it still does it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts