Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my little brother is buying his first bike this week, so naturally I did the big-brotherly thing and was showing him how to ride in a parking lot. Unfortunately he must be the mail man's kid because he put the bike down IN A PARKING LOT! He is 100% fine (thank god) but my SV is not. Other than the minor damages (busted head light, clutch lever, etc) the bike is pulling HARD to the right. He was only going about 5mph when he went down on the left side. When i turn the bars right the bike's elevation lowers, when the bars are turned left the bikes elevation increases. Front end also wobbles a good bit when going over 30mph. When applying front brakes the bike either pulls right or maybe just pulls back straight. I am reasonably mechanically inclinded but have never dealt with this kind of issue. Please advise. Thanks everyone!!!!
(PS Im completely kidding about the mail man comment and Im just glad he is ok.....after all its just a bike)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No frame sliders (yes they are a cheap protection for sure) but the bike hit front and on the handlebars. I am meeting a guy later today that has a motorcycle jack stand for sale and as soon as I get it I will put the bike up and loosen the trees and see what happens. Another snippet of info: when I pull the front brakes the bike pulls left?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would put money on the fact that your forks are a little bent. I had the exact and thing happen and it ended in the same symptoms you speak of. In the end I bought straight forks off of svriders and ta da*

·
Registered
534 Posts
jack stand on an sv, your gonna need a few pieces of 2x4 to clear the exhaust pipe, just FYI

*edit* sorry, didn't realize what forum I was in. I'm ignorant to how the 1st gen is set up, I could be lying to you.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
When i turn the bars right the bike's elevation lowers, when the bars are turned left the bikes elevation increases.
What do you mean by that? If I understand you correctly you should first check whether the fork legs are still the same height relative to the top triple. Triples and fork legs could be bent, but from several such mishaps I´ve seen and fixed I can tell you that they surely take some beating. Do the forks move freely when pushed down or do they bind?

I´m with the "forks tweaked" guess and would add that the handlebar is probably bent.

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
280 Posts
They are FRAME sliders. They wouldn´t have done anything for the fork.
The bike would have fallen on the side first. The FRAME sliders would absorb most of the hit. The rest would be left for the handlebars. My sliders don't allow the handlebars to touch the ground when laying on it's side. I've spilled at that speed with no issues to the forks.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
If he only dropped the bike and didn't ram anything, it's almost certainly just a tweak in the triple clamps. Sight down the front end from above when the bars are straight and you'll likely see a little offset to the tire's desired 90 degree position. (Removing the fender may be helpful to see the tire.) Make sure the bars are straight, take the weight off the wheel, loosen all the fork pinch bolts, wiggle everything a bit then re-torque all the pinch bolts. You may need to stand in front of the bike with the wheel held firmly between your knees and pull the bars to center. It's probably not that the bike is 'pulling' to one side so much as the bars not pointing where the wheel is. Again - torque the pinch bolts correctly. I'm guessing some were loose for this to have even happened. You may notice the culprit when you're loosening them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I was riding home, I had to put a bit of effort into keeping the bike straight, not just turning the bars to compensate for them being bent. When I turn the bars left the bike actually rises, and when I turn them right, the bike actually lowers (in front.) The forks do move freely when I compress them. (still havent had a chance to lift the bike up yet as I ended up meeting the guy with the jack way to late last night.) It almost feels like the tire is sitting off center so when I turn the bars it is the height in the center of the tire actually changing the eleveation of the bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hahahaha....once i saw that he was ok I batted him upside the helmet hard enough to knock him over (but i didnt feel bad because he had a helmet on.) I am having a hard time figuring out how to lift this front end off the ground though. The exhaust is in the way and even if I remove it I would still be lifting the bike by the motor in one way or another. So how the hell do I lift the front end of an SV with a regular motorcycle jack? I tried the 2x4 thing and it just didnt seem stable?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts