Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
There were a couple. He steals an airhead BMW, but the jump (actually) done by Bud Eakins) is on a 650 Triumph.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Here's an excerpt of an interview with Mr. Ekins:

Bud's claim to fame is that he's the man who performed the stunt that many credit to Steve McQueen in the movie, The Great Escape. Yep, the Triumph that sailed over the fence of the German prisoner-of-war camp, was piloted by Bud, not Steve McQueen. We talked with Bud about that incredible jump:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bud: It was the first thousand dollar stunt ever in the movie industry. It was done in 1962, and that was considered huge money back in those days.

Rick: Who's idea was it to have you do the stunt?

Bud: McQueen. We were friends and he wanted me to do it.

Rick : How long was the actual jump and how high was it?

Bud: It was about 12 feet from the bottom of the wheels to the ground, and about 65 feet long.

Rick: Tell us about the bike.

Bud: It was a '62 Triumph; nothing special. Nothing was done to the suspension.

Rick: You jumped a stocker?

Bud: Yes. Girlings in the back, no sidecars springs in the forks, nothing. It was completely stock other than a lighter earlier model front wheel.

Rick: You jumped over 65 feet on a 400 pound motorcycle! What was the landing like?

Bud: Hard! It just went bang and then it bounced.

:p

Here's a link:

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/rick/bud.html

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Who saw the movie?

I saw it when it came out (revealing my age) and it was definitely a Triumph that did the jump and that was in the getaway riding scenes that I remember. No Indians. At that time the only Indians ever made were huge cruisers, like my first bike, a 1947 Super Chief.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts