Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time this has happend. Both times the bike died before enterring an off ramp turn on the highway. I'm approaching the straight away either 4th or 5th gear then before the turn I downshift to 3rd gear. I get in 3rd, clutch already released and both hands on the handlebars and kill switch not touched. Just before the turn when I'm about to open the throttle then start leaning it dies.. Luckily I'm not leaning the bike just yet, and no cars behind me allowing me to stop safely in the side lane and start her up again.
I warm her up for a good 3-5mins before riding, just checked the battery contact and everything is fine, plugs also checked and good aswell. Bike is a '03 sv650s with only 16,000kms.
What could be the problem??? Any of you guys/gals have this problem?

Much help appreciated

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dies like you hit the kill switch (you didn't, I know) or dies like it's running out of gas?

...and when it happens you're just getting back on the gas after compression braking in third? What happens in the same scenarion if you don't compression brake, that is if you pull the clutch in and brake down to speed before you open the throttle again?

...and this only happens coming off the freeway, not in a similar situation around town, but with lower speeds?

:)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Mine has been dying a lot like that at random times too. If it keeps up, to the dealer I go.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
nc_sv650 asked
Dies like you hit the kill switch (you didn't, I know) or dies like it's running out of gas?
This sounds like an important question because it could indicate whether you should troubleshoot an electrical or fuel problem. (Of course, with FI, they merge at some point, don't they?)
Do you have to grab the clutch immediately when this happens to keep from ass-over-teekettling, or does the bike cough and sputter to a dead roll?

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Mine will also die at times during its initial warm-up. It will happen when I blip the throttle.......... starts right back up. And wont do it again the rest of the day.
I chalk it up to a very basic FI system on these bikes compared to cars. From my experience in the car business, this would be a very difficult thing to reproduce for my dealer. I have talked to him about it, and he does want to check it out. I will make an appt near the end of the season for him to check it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nc_sv650 said:
Never ran into a situation of running out of gas but it dies like the kill switch was hit...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
67GTONUT said:
Mine will also die at times during its initial warm-up. It will happen when I blip the throttle.......... starts right back up. And wont do it again the rest of the day.
I've ran into this before but not in a long time. 2 weeks ago I was at a stop sign maybe 2mins after the initial warm up.. I kicked her into 1st with the clutch pressed in and it died...

I also installed a Yosh oval slip on & de-snorkled the air box. Would this play a part in the problem? Would putting the snorkle back on fix it?!?? What ya guys/gals think?!?? :?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fatass SVS said:
nc_sv650 asked
Do you have to grab the clutch immediately when this happens to keep from ass-over-teekettling, or does the bike cough and sputter to a dead roll?
when it does die I have to clutch in immediately and press the starter. But thats not the safest thing right now. The last two times I tried it while rolling and she wouldn't start. I had to pull over and start her up but it takes a while for her to start.. Sorta like when a car dies...chhhchhhchhchhchh then vroooooooooooom she's good.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you make it happen at will? It sounds electrical, but a short should pop a fuse -so maybe not. I'm not an FI guy but the tip over switch comes up frequently, but it seems like the problem would occur a lot more often than it does if that were the culprit. Your daily commute doesn't take you through the Bermuda Triangle, does it?

Here's a thought: As I said, I'm not an FI guy, but I think the SV uses a semi-modern closed loop system where the ECM adjusts fuel delivery based on what it sees at the exhaust with the O2 sensor. With your mods maybe you are going momentarily off the map (so to speak) as you decelerate, and the ECM is responding by going full lean. It's an expensive way to troubleshoot, but maybe a PCIII with an appropriate new map would help.

As I said, I'm not an FI guy so this may just be me talkin'.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
No O2 sensor or Mass Air Flow Sensor(MAF) in our systems........ thats how basic of an FI system it is. It is really a very basic speed density system. Stock mapping probably just monitors engine temp for mixture curve.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
67GTONUT said:
No O2 sensor or Mass Air Flow Sensor(MAF) in our systems........ thats how basic of an FI system it is. It is really a very basic speed density system. Stock mapping probably just monitors engine temp for mixture curve.
OK- dammit, I'll make this theory fit yet! (even if I have to change the facts to do so!) :wink:

If the ECM is only watching throttle position, temp and RPM, with the increased air flow from the mods it could well be going lean on decel and not reacting quickly enough to the new throttle pos input.

Hard to believe the SV runs such a basic (open loop) system. Does it only manage the fuel curve or is it plotting the ignition advance too?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, snorkle is going back on. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Riders with the same problem, is your air box de-snorkled or kept stock and do you have stock pipe/slip-on/full system???

Thanks for all the help again :D

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
1st gens had a problem with the air intake sucking the sound deadening foam off the tank and choking the air intake.... do 2nd gens have the same foam on the underside of the tank?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
my bikes been doing the same thing.. I still havent figured out whats causing it.. its so random too. :?

Im hoping it was just some bad gas or something.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 05 SVs has been dying frequently too... With me its always when accelerating from idle. 1st time it happened I was stuck in traffic for a while, in idle for too long. I immediately attributed it to a fouled plug.

Then it started happening again, for no f-ing reason whatsoever.

perhaps coincidentaly, it only happened after I removed the restrictor on my exhaust. It also only happened after my 600 mile service (same week). I still have my snorkel.

What troubles me is that if this is because of fouled plugs, they should not be fouling!!! Without MAF or O2 sensors, the bike should be running lean with a free-er exhaust...

Could it be some kind of exhaust re-circulation system for emitions control (I'm not very knowledgeable with SVs yet)? Fuel Mapping? (but why? It should be lean!)

Any ideas?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow... Kinda glad it's not only happening to me but at the same time this SUCKS!!!! :twisted: I'm gonna be paro now when downshifting which is not good. NOT good AT ALL!!!

Hopefully putting the snorkle back on will at least fix the dying after downshifting problem. which worries me the most especially before turns.

But ya, even prior to putting the slip-on and de-snorkling the bike would die at random.....kicking her into first at a stop with the clutch in and there were other times it would die after kicking her into second after the inital warm up... But after each time she would struggle to get back up.chhhhchhhchhchchchhchhhchhh then Vrooom... If it does happen it's only been happening one time per ride...Majority of the time it doesn't but last two runs it died after downshifting..

I'll keep ya'll updated after I put the snorkle back on.... I gotta get my trust back in her damn it :?

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Yeah....... Mine will only do it once, and be fine. And it will happen maybe once every 10 rides. I have TBR slip-on, but it did it before, when it was stock. The pipe had no effect.

Like I said, I am chalking it up to a very basic mapping of the stock ECM, I will bring it in soon to have it checked. If there are no stored codes, I am not sure what my dealer can do....... but I will let everyone know if he has a fix.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, I just came back from adjusting my Throttle Position Sensor, and it was way off.

My idle was set bellow 1000 rpms when in 192 farenheit (operating temp here in Texas, at least), and my TPS was kicking in at 3500 rpm. Hopefully these adjustments will solve my problems, but time will tell.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this will help you guys out or not, but I thought I'd let you know.

Take care,

André

·
Registered
336 Posts
aight guys, mine has been doin this too, thenit finally just gave up the ghost. it's at the dealer waitin for me to pick it up. the connection between the ignition(key) and the wiring harness went bad. they just cut and spliced all the wires and it's fine. cost me $118 though. oh and this is an '03.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts