Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
// I had a video of my second start attempt but as a new user I am not allowed to include links. I would try to include it in the next post

Hello fellow SV riders!

I have an issue starting my bike but I know it could be very hard to diagnose a problem over the internet so I will try to be as precise as possible:

Bike: Suzuki SV650s 2003 | I cannot think of any serious modifications except that my mechanic bypassed the clutch switch and now it starts without me pulling the clutch.
Engine: 1 year ago I swapped the engine from the same bike from 2008 (or at least that's what I was told, I never checked whether it has 2 or 4 spark plugs)
Condition: Bike has been working fine for the last 6 months. The last think I did was to wash it thoroughly, fill the tank to the brim, did not remove the battery and then covered it in the garage (about 2 months ago). I realise now that washing it right before may not have been the wisest thing since it could have created some moisture.
Battery: it was at 80% of its capacity at my first attempt of starting the bike. I think the battery could be ruled out of the list of potential causes.

The initial problem (1 week ago): When I engage the kill switch the fuel pump would not prime and all I heard was a short click. When trying to start it, the starter would turn over (churn?). After a few seconds of churning, the FI message would come up and red light would start blinking. I put the bike into Dealer mode and -c41 (fuel relay error) showed up. I was told that the first thing I should do was check the fuses.

The problem (continued) (1 day ago): I did change a few fuses and after that the fuel pump started priming. However, the bike is still not willing to start. The FI error and red light blinking still show. When I put the bike into Dealer mode, the display shows c00. Also, when trying to start it the display keeps blinking and fading which I find weird.

So any suggestions/help? Next thing to check the spark plugs? I would really appreciate it, guys! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
Even though you see _c00, check the error codes again. FI in the gauge means the the ECM is still throwing an error code(s), could be intermittent, sometimes shows, sometimes not. Keep checking.

Keep the battery charged. Multiple cranks without starting/running will drain the battery fast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even though you see _c00, check the error codes again. FI in the gauge means the the ECM is still throwing an error code(s), could be intermittent, sometimes shows, sometimes not. Keep checking.

Keep the battery charged. Multiple cranks without starting/running will drain the battery fast.
Thank you for the quick reply, @TeeRiver !

I have fully charged the battery and tomorrow will try firing it up and check the error code once more. However, I feel kind of lost if nothing changes since I don't know where to look next. Do you have an idea whether is it worthwhile to check the spark plugs? I am not really mechanically skilled and I cannot check electricity current issues and that sort of stuff...

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
Get the error code first, it may take you straight to the problem.

If the fuel fuse blew and you previously saw C41, the problem might be the fuel pump. Sitting for two months can gunk up the pump and make it to draw extra current. That would be my guess but get the code(s) first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. How should I find out if there is more than one code? Checking multiple times? And the fuel pump might still have blown up even though it's priming?

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
If more than one code they will show up sequentially then repeat.

The pump may have been stuck/sluggish prior but could be working better now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SOLVED!!! So today I put the fully charged battery and once the fuel pump would prime I figured I wouldn't try to fire it up immediately. I read somewhere that when the bike has been sitting for some time, you should prime the fuel pump a few times to build up some gas before starting. So I primed it for like 10 times and when I pressed the ignition - Holy Grail, it started! @TeeRiver, I was so excited I forgot to check about any potential error codes it might have thrown in but hopefully now that it's working there aren't any. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts