Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I've really taken the bike out since I've bought it. Didn't go real far, as it's still pretty cold (bout 35 today?), about 12 miles to a buddy's work to show him the bike. Anyway, it sat for about hour and a half while I ate dinner, jumped back on and was driving home. About a mile and a half into the drive home I was braking for a stop from about 45mph and as I'm at about 20 mph, holding the clutch and braking, I realized something wasn't right. Turns out the bike died. Didn't make any weird noises obviously, just shut off. At the stop sign i hit the starter button, it lit right back up, and off I went. I was wary as I came up to the next stop sign about a mile away and it was fine. From that stop I kinda hit on the bike, 9k rpms through 3rd & 4th, slowed down, acceleration was smooth as butter, shifting just as smooth. Everything else on the drive home was aces. Only thing I could think of was when i started the bike up for my buddy, the hour and a half earlier, I forgot the **** thing's fuel injected (used to the carb'd bikes) and accidentally hit the starter before the fuel pump was done doing whatever it does when it's whining, rev'd her up a bit and that killed it as well. Any ideas as to why the bike would die coasting/braking to a stop? It's a 2005 650 with about 14k miles. Sorry for the long winded post also

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
-does it idle at the correct rpm?
-could just be bad gas.
-or a plugged tank vent.
-nothing to do with when you hit the starter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was idling around 1300 pretty steady, although when I first left it was like right at 1k. Does the sv have an idle adjustment screw? I never thought about it, but it's possible it's not the best gas. I need a ****ed clymer manual for the thing :/ I'll check out the tank vents to see. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've heard about that on some bikes that did the TRE mod, but that was only '07's and 07's i thought. Have you done the TRE mod by chance?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Is your kickstand loose?
Worth checking. Also, the TOS (tip over sensor)

Tank vents through the cap, BTW. Next time it stalls, immediately open teh cap and listen for a hiss as you open it. There should be no hiss.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
My '07 has done that several times. I blame it on the automatic idle adjuster. for your '05, you'll have to find something else to blame.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Forgot to answer the idle screw question:
On early Gen 2 bikes, there is an idel screw visible through the frame spars on the left side of the bike. I don't know what year they moved to auto but pretty sure it was after 2005.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I honestly would have to say I don't know what mods are done. I thought it was totally stock, then i looked again and realized the guy did a few cosmetic mods. Flush mount front indicators, fender elim, piped w/ m4 can (that i noticed right away lol), frame sliders. Honestly don't know what the aTRE looks like or where it's located..so it looks like its time to break out the search function lol, although feel free to post away with any more input & advice. Going outside now to check the kickstand and look for idle adjuster.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update. Before my ride today I checked kickstand and looked for the TRE, didn't see one, but again maybe i missed it as I'm not entirely positive what it looks like. Took it out for about an hour/hour & a half today, and again about a block from my house it died while coming to a stop. That was the only time it happened, again. Rest of the ~50 miles i went, didnt happen a single time. Noticed also that once it's warmed up it seems to idle kind of low, right around 1k. Otherwise the bike is unbelievably fun, and very hard to drive at legal speeds lol

·
Registered
232 Posts
are you warming the bike up before you take off??

if you are idling low and the bike is cold

that coulkd be the problem

i let mine warm up to 120 before i even put it in gear
and 150 before i go over 5500 rpm

but thats just me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts