Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had the thing for about 6 months but I am pondering selling my '12 CBR1000RR to help pay for a new car for my wife. I guess this means I love her.. and we agreed that we should get a more "affordable bike", as in less than $6,000.

I've had 2 SV650's in the past and 1 SV1000 and they were all great bikes, but I'm looking for additional options.
I want something that is a do-it-all sort of bike:
-capable of day trips with somewhat comfortable ergos
-something that is track-day capable, even if some basic mods were to be required first
-ha and something that can occasionally whoolie without starving the front cylinder and destroying the motor (I don't speak from experience, but isnt that a prob with the SV?)

·
Registered
920 Posts
why not opt for a 600cc bike, used in your price range? 6,000 could get you a pretty nice bike.

Also, the sv650/1000 meets all of the above, minus the wheelie criteria.

edit: if you're handy with a wrench and have a keen eye for distressed bikes, you might try finding a salvage dealer and buddying up with one to either buy one directly from the auction or have him buy it and then buy it from him. I got an 08 sv650 in 2009 with 650 miles for 2,800 (minus TT&L) brand new to me, had a little bit of tank damage and scuffed headlight/forks (naked model) but has been a GREAT 2nd bike for me, and im not worried about dropping it or having anything happen to it as it is only my 2nd bike and is a learner tool. But putting that aside, had i alot more cash at the time i'dve had NO Problem buying this bike and replacing the tank, gsxr forks etc. and making one damn FINE bike out of it. No mechanical problems what so ever, basically someone bought the "girly easy best 1st bike for a beginner" sv650 as their 1st bike, dropped it on the left side, dropped it on the right (bought frame sliders) then salvaged it thru their full coverage insurance, and i capitalized like a big dog (maybe the salvage dealer actually capitalized as im sure he bought the bike for 1,200-1,500 and turned it around for 2,800 to me but i was still happy.

if you do entertain this route and cannot find a salvage dealer or buy a salvage wtih a dealer-buddy check out ridesafely.com its a salvage auction broker site that sells alot of motorcycles that have been wrecked. i check it out quite often.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Honda VFR800 first came to mind.

Triumph Street/Speed triple, although most are probably outside the $6000 range, if you can find one. Not sure how you feel about naked bike though.

Triumph Sprint

·
Registered
818 Posts
Oh. boy! Another "I'm going to waste your time asking for advice I'm not going to follow or even consider." thread.

Have fun, but don't expect the OP to listen.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Oh. boy! Another "I'm going to waste your time asking for advice I'm not going to follow or even consider." thread.

Troll much? He hasn't even responded yet how the hell do you know hes not a perfectly reasonable dude... i mean hes obviously had experience with some Sv's before so I'd give him some credit.

And ffs hes got 400+ posts...

Quit your trolling and go do some wheelies or whatever it is you trolls do these days.

@ OP- I consider my SV650 a do it all bike- ive had it on a dirt trails, laid over in the twisties, exploring all sorts of roads and place with and with out a passenger... it's a good do it all choice IMO- perhaps though if you want more pep a SV1000?

And yes the VFR800 is sweet too... honda has some great adventure/do it all bikes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was in this same dilemma this spring. I test rode Buell (XB12), Triumph (Street-T), FZ1, FZ6, SV1k. In the end I bought the SV1k and love it, but all are great choices. I really like the XB12SS (long), and the Ulysses for an all arounder. There are so many options especially for $6k, good luck.

·
Thumper Squad
3,279 Posts

productive post - keep it up....

edit: +1 to the VFR800 - my old man has one - awesome bike for everything, besides fire roads....but hell, might work well there to.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Troll much? He hasn't even responded yet how the hell do you know hes not a perfectly reasonable dude... i mean hes obviously had experience with some Sv's before so I'd give him some credit.
<snip>.
LOL. LMK at the end of the thread.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Honda VFR800 first came to mind.

Triumph Street/Speed triple, although most are probably outside the $6000 range, if you can find one. Not sure how you feel about naked bike though.

Triumph Sprint

My buddy just picked up an 06 for $4000, they are out there. I would go with the Street/Speed Triple as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are going to take a beating on depreciation, is it really worth it?
Speed Triple's are out there in your price range, I happen to think they are great bikes, but a used SV is actually a more practical bike in several ways...it won't eat tires as quickly, gets even better gas mileage and is less expensive to repair and maintain. You can toss some saddlebags on an SV too.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You are going to take a beating on depreciation, is it really worth it?
Speed Triple's are out there in your price range, I happen to think they are great bikes, but a used SV is actually a more practical bike in several ways...it won't eat tires as quickly, gets even better gas mileage and is less expensive to repair and maintain. You can toss some saddlebags on an SV too.
Quoted for troof.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Not sure about a track day weapon but how about a Suzuki Bandit 1200? A friend of mine has had a couple of them and he loves them. He's a very capable rider and loves the Bandit. Incidentally, he's the reason I bought my SV650 as he had one and let me ride it when I was thinking about getting rid of an old Honda I was riding at the time.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Not sure about a track day weapon but how about a Suzuki Bandit 1200? A friend of mine has had a couple of them and he loves them. He's a very capable rider and loves the Bandit. Incidentally, he's the reason I bought my SV650 as he had one and let me ride it when I was thinking about getting rid of an old Honda I was riding at the time.
Those things respond incredibly well to simple bolt-ons. Big HP increases.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts