Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting another SV (traded my 05 for an Aprilia Tuono) as a track bike. Got a guy who wants to trade for my 85 Porsche 944, but its an 03 SV. I knew there were differences, but not sure what they are.
Any help??

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Higher subframe, different colors, and other small changes. Nothing drastic...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Different subframe, swingarm, rearsets(if it was a naked), seat, side covers, undertail, rear fender, and exhaust.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
GET IT ....03's are the best!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Different subframe, swingarm, rearsets(if it was a naked), seat, side covers, undertail, rear fender, and exhaust.
-03 subframe is a bit higher and steel
-the undertail and rear fender are different but interchangeable. the 03 fender is a bit larger and fuglier (I have an '04 on my '03). EDIT: not sure about the undertail being interchangeable.
-AFAIK, the swingarm difference just amounts to chain guard/ hugger mounting points but i'm not sure
-03 uses rearsets of the same concept (though different) as Gen1 where the "S" has higher rearsets and the "N" lower ones. 04+ uses the same one for "S" and "N" with an intermediate location and entirely different design (shifter/ brake pivots are no longer at the peg) 03 and 04+ are still interchangeable as sets.
-the exhaust is just slightly different to account for the subframe height difference (so the mounts line up).
-the little black side panes are a different shape but all the rest of the plastics are the same or at least interchangeable.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
TCL you have an '04 undertail on your '03? I'd like to do this... free up some trunk space by putting the tools in the toolbox.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
TCL you have an '04 undertail on your '03? I'd like to do this... free up some trunk space by putting the tools in the toolbox.
Sorry, I mispoke. I have a '04 FENDER. I'm actually NOT sure that that the '04 undertail would fit but it is cheap enough (or free) to be worth a shot. FYI, I assume the toolbox has to be cut off to fit a gsxr- style shock but I could be wrong.

On a related note, there are molded plastic bits that sort of define the boundaries of the storage compartment and keep things from falling out. If you were to cut these out and just keep a waterproof nylon bag in the compartment instead you can make more room for yourself and keep things dry. There is actually a fair amount of room in the area between the two seats that isn't taken advantage of; the OEM tools are small in the scope of things.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I have:

PCIII, Toolkit, Tire Repair Kit, First Aid Kit, and a power outlet in my trunk... there's no more room in there.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I have:

PCIII, Toolkit, Tire Repair Kit, First Aid Kit, and a power outlet in my trunk... there's no more room in there.
But, define "trunk" I'm saying that there is a ton of room above and around the OEM fuses and such that can be accessed without removing the rider seat if you remove the partition.
Also, there is a lot of room outside the subframe rails for things that you will (presumably) not need to access like a power commander (or alarm, etc).

Anyhow, just a thought. I like your idea of swapping them to have more space though. You could always make your own box in the same place if they don't swap.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Hehe, well, the outside of the brake side already has the air compressor for my stebel nautilus, and the left side will soon have the trunk auto-popper.

I know the space you're talking about... that's where my tire repair kit and tool kit are shoved. The first aid kit is huuuuge. And I still need to figure out where to put on my air pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts