Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Big question

3K views 35 replies 26 participants last post by  sidepipe79 
Should I let my girlfriend buy me a new bike as a birthday gift?

Ok, some background may be necessary. I've been looking at getting a used bike to start learning on, but most recently have decided to wait in favor of paying down some bills and building up more savings. I've taken the MSF course, and am otherwise chomping at the bit to start riding.

Lately, the gf has been dropping subtle hints about motorcycles. She's ok with me getting a bike, but has discouraged me from jumping the gun on it, mostly for said financial reasons.

Most recently, she has mentioned that I should take my permit and MSF card to get my full license. Nothing strange about that, I had been planning to do that anyway, just hadn't gotten around to it. During another conversation about getting new car insurance, she mentioned that maybe I should pick up motorcycle insurance. I explained that you can't just get insurance "in general", it has to be on a specific bike. Yet another day, we went to test drive a car (looking at getting a new one in 6-12 months), and she balked at the delivery fees listed on the sticker. I explained that any new vehicle has those tacked on, and she said something like, "Yeah, new motorcycles have that, too." Again, nothing strange about that...

...but all these little hints are starting to add up. I'm starting to wonder if she's planning something? I've been planning for ages to get a nice Ninja 250 for a year or two, then graduating to an SVS (hence all the lurking I've been doing here).

SO, here are my questions:

1. _Is_ she planning on getting me a bike?
2. If so, should I accept it?

(We've been dating for about 3 years, have talked about marriage, but neither of us has popped the question yet.)
Does she have a lot of disposable income?

I wonder if she is actually planning on getting you one or if you're reading too much into it.

Anyway, if she is wanting to get you a bike then why wouldn't you let her. Have her buy you a used ninja or sv or gs500 or something like that.

I bought my Girl a bike before we were engaged.

This isn't necessarily good advice. :p

You will learn more on a smaller bike. You can also then turn around and re-sell the Ninja for what you paid for it. No loss whatsoever.
+1000000000000000000

There is absolutely no downside unless you wreck, in which case, you'll probably be glad you were on the smaller bike, and you might still be able to sell it for what you paid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.