Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I let my girlfriend buy me a new bike as a birthday gift?

Ok, some background may be necessary. I've been looking at getting a used bike to start learning on, but most recently have decided to wait in favor of paying down some bills and building up more savings. I've taken the MSF course, and am otherwise chomping at the bit to start riding.

Lately, the gf has been dropping subtle hints about motorcycles. She's ok with me getting a bike, but has discouraged me from jumping the gun on it, mostly for said financial reasons.

Most recently, she has mentioned that I should take my permit and MSF card to get my full license. Nothing strange about that, I had been planning to do that anyway, just hadn't gotten around to it. During another conversation about getting new car insurance, she mentioned that maybe I should pick up motorcycle insurance. I explained that you can't just get insurance "in general", it has to be on a specific bike. Yet another day, we went to test drive a car (looking at getting a new one in 6-12 months), and she balked at the delivery fees listed on the sticker. I explained that any new vehicle has those tacked on, and she said something like, "Yeah, new motorcycles have that, too." Again, nothing strange about that...

...but all these little hints are starting to add up. I'm starting to wonder if she's planning something? I've been planning for ages to get a nice Ninja 250 for a year or two, then graduating to an SVS (hence all the lurking I've been doing here).

SO, here are my questions:

1. _Is_ she planning on getting me a bike?
2. If so, should I accept it?

(We've been dating for about 3 years, have talked about marriage, but neither of us has popped the question yet.)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
3. If she gets me a bike, how big does the engagement ring need to be?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3. If she gets me a bike, how big does the engagement ring need to be?
Excellent point. I'm afraid I already have the answer to that, and it isn't pretty. Well I mean, it _is_ pretty, just . . . . yeah, it was a bad idea to go "pretend ring shopping."

·
Registered
261 Posts
no, don't let her. don't get a new bike. get a used bike, first anyways. And I'd never let my g/f, or wife if I had one, get me an $8,000 gift.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
It means someone else is tappin' her and she probably bought him a bike.

·
Registered
62 Posts
if you plan on being together... I don't see why you wouldn't accept the bike... but depending how comfortable you feel with your motorcycle skills... you could start off with a SVS...

I just got an SVS in July as my first bike (new and against everyone elses wishes.. they wanted me to go used)... and I already have 2000+miles on it and have had no problems

overall.. "I" would accept the gift because it sounds like you might be getting one :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, don't let her. don't get a new bike. get a used bike, first anyways. And I'd never let my g/f, or wife if I had one, get me an $8,000 gift.
I sort of feel the same way, about getting a used bike first. Just to put all the facts out there, if she _is_ getting me a new bike, it's would very likely be one of the new Ninja 250r's, so it'd be a $4000+ gift, not $8000.

·
Registered
38 Posts
See if she'll just give you cash value.
Seriously though, I don't know man. If I had a wife of 10+ years and my love for motorcycle riding was firmly established I'd have no problem with that, but so early in a relationship I don't know if I'd be comfortable with it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
yeah dude I don't want to jinx anything but any sort of thing can happen that can change everything, if she can afford to get you a bike, she can afford to pay monthly bills ( I assume you live together) so just work that angle and pay for the bike yourself.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'll add my .02 My GF soon to be Fiance loves motorcycles and riding with me. She loves ripping. She asked me why I don't buy a 2nd bike? One more oriented to toward the 2 of us, likely a honda Super hawk, or a 919 or anything with a banana seat.

I sit in a situation where I could buy a new "gently used" bike for the 2 of us for cash. And Dedicate the SV for track use and hard solo riding. I get hints often to spend the money but that money is actually going towards a ROCK that will forever be called "Steve's 2nd bike"

I would never let my GF buy me a bike my wife it would be a total surprise if she did. If anything happens to you, or the bike it could put serious strain on the relationship or serious guilt on her. You do not want that.

You really need to get engaged and buy a really cheap older sportbike. IE a 2000 R6 for 2K-2.5K and buy a ring.

Some thoughts on finance-
The best thing you can do is pay down that debt see if the two of you can work hard to get married and focus on 2 goals after the debt is reduced.

1. A ring for her
2. A nice "reliable" bike that is affordable.

This will be a real test to see if the 2 of you can set goals and work very hard for what you both want.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I didn't buy my hubby a new bike, but I sure encouraged him to get one. I encouraged him A LOT! He picked the one he wanted.

I'd say its a really nice gesture if I didn't know most of the time I (ok, most women) have ulterior motives. :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I'll add my .02 My GF soon to be Fiance loves motorcycles and riding with me. She loves ripping. She asked me why I don't buy a 2nd bike? One more oriented to toward the 2 of us, likely a honda Super hawk, or a 919 or anything with a banana seat.

I sit in a situation where I could buy a new "gently used" bike for the 2 of us for cash. And Dedicate the SV for track use and hard solo riding
I´d say get HER a bike.

My wife was (still is) an excellent pillion, but having her own bike was always a goal and proved to be as great as we imagined in every way. We collected about 25.000 km of bike holidays by now and plan to add more.

On the original subject:
There is another drawback I see (in addition to the numerous already mentioned): Does she really know what bike you´d want? Buying a bike is a quite subjective matter.

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Call me cautious. What name would the title be in. You know the old saying about a woman scourned ...

And how the hell do y'all get your SO to buy you a bike anyways ???

EDIT: In all fairness my SO has bought me tickets a couple of times over the last 10 years to visit my family and mates Down-Under ;D

·
Registered
998 Posts
I´d say get HER a bike.

My wife was (still is) an excellent pillion, but having her own bike was always a goal and proved to be as great as we imagined in every way. We collected about 25.000 km of bike holidays by now and plan to add more.

Ciao
Jan
She wrecked a Dirt Bike hard about 8 years ago to the point were she was pinned down. She won't get on a front seat to hardly take a photo let alone ride. She has said "I'll never ride my own I hope that doesn't make you upset"

I would get here a Ninja 250 or a NSR just cause I want to ride it but oh well.

·
Banned
296 Posts
I thought the "Big question" was "will you marry me?"

If she buys you a bike dude, it's probably a ploy to trade for a rock for her finger.
Congrats on the engagement LOL :hiding2:

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Should I let my girlfriend buy me a new bike as a birthday gift?

Ok, some background may be necessary. I've been looking at getting a used bike to start learning on, but most recently have decided to wait in favor of paying down some bills and building up more savings. I've taken the MSF course, and am otherwise chomping at the bit to start riding.

Lately, the gf has been dropping subtle hints about motorcycles. She's ok with me getting a bike, but has discouraged me from jumping the gun on it, mostly for said financial reasons.

Most recently, she has mentioned that I should take my permit and MSF card to get my full license. Nothing strange about that, I had been planning to do that anyway, just hadn't gotten around to it. During another conversation about getting new car insurance, she mentioned that maybe I should pick up motorcycle insurance. I explained that you can't just get insurance "in general", it has to be on a specific bike. Yet another day, we went to test drive a car (looking at getting a new one in 6-12 months), and she balked at the delivery fees listed on the sticker. I explained that any new vehicle has those tacked on, and she said something like, "Yeah, new motorcycles have that, too." Again, nothing strange about that...

...but all these little hints are starting to add up. I'm starting to wonder if she's planning something? I've been planning for ages to get a nice Ninja 250 for a year or two, then graduating to an SVS (hence all the lurking I've been doing here).

SO, here are my questions:

1. _Is_ she planning on getting me a bike?
2. If so, should I accept it?

(We've been dating for about 3 years, have talked about marriage, but neither of us has popped the question yet.)
Does she have a lot of disposable income?

I wonder if she is actually planning on getting you one or if you're reading too much into it.

Anyway, if she is wanting to get you a bike then why wouldn't you let her. Have her buy you a used ninja or sv or gs500 or something like that.

I bought my Girl a bike before we were engaged.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
You have been doing the smart thing by holding off buying a bike in order to pay down your debt and build some savings, especially in this economy...not the time to add unnecessary debt.

Regarding the GF, the only scenario in which I might be comfortable with her buying me a bike would be if she was really loaded and the money was truly just pocket change to her. If she's obscenely wealthy and it is a gift from the heart, why not?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts