Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my SV in for her 4000 mile service today. After I got her back home I decided to wash her, that's when I noticed a strong smell of gas comming from the engine. I looked, no gas was leaking so I tried to start up. When I turned the key FI dummy light stayed on. The engine would crank but not fire up.

I called the shop and spoke was the service manager, he thought  that I put too much gas in the tank and some fuel went in to my charcoal can (CA model). He told me to open up the throttle all the way and try to start.....Success.......Well some what, I took her out but she was not happy about it.  The bike kept stalling and was really jerky.  So I got her home. I figured I'd try later after maybe some of vapor would clear out with time.

A few hours later I tried again. This time, like the last the FI light stayed on. I opened up the throttle and pressed the start button...... it died like the battery was low. At the same time I herd a crackling sound and spotted smoke comming out form under my seat. Needless to say that I shout her down and that  I'm not very happy. I know the shop f**ked up something.

What do you all think???????

BTW it's a 2003 1KS

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Sounds like a short circuit. I don't think the gas smell is related. I would call the shop, tell them they screwed something up big time, and arrange for them to pick the bike up. Document everything.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Calling the shop is the smart thing to do. If I were the service manager and I got a call like that I'd want to do something pronto, just to CYA. Good advice from Andy, as usual.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
here is where I am confused.... so you rode it home from the shop? and it was fine... until after you washed it? is this correct?

sounds to me like water in there somewhere it shouldn't have and is causing electrical problems most likely, but not sure about the gas smell though

if you go back to shop... miight want to keep that washing process to yourself though as they might want to blame that

·
Registered
72 Posts
syntheticton said:
here is where I am confused.... so you rode it home from the shop? and it was fine... until after you washed it? is this correct?

sounds to me like water in there somewhere it shouldn't have and is causing electrical problems most likely, but not sure about the gas smell though

if you go back to shop... miight want to keep that washing process to yourself though as they might want to blame that
^^What he said. Any posibilty of this?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
syntheticton said:

if you go back to shop... might want to keep that washing process to yourself though as they might want to blame that

Good question I noticed the problem wile I was washing it.....BTW when I wash my bike I'm really careful not to get any water where it shouldn't be, I use a damp sponge and a towel.

Well I went to the shop to day.......they picked up my bike and are going to fix it for free ;D I really got to hand to them. They are taking really good care of my problem.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
that's good to hear... keep that place in business because you might not have faired as well at some other shops ;)

·
Registered
500 Posts
+1 on that. Many shops have such a poor attitude toward things like this. I have been to shops were somethign went wrong with teh bike right after I got it back and I really thought their excuse was going to start to include Puff the Magic Dragon b/c they were throwing every other possibility in there except the fact that their tech. *&^ed it up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts