Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 5'11" and 245lbs. I am fixing to buy my first 1pc suit and was wondering if any one had any suggestions on particular brand that they were partial to or anything. I am leaning towards an A* octane suit but I am not sure. So, any suggestions?

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
I am 5'11" and 245lbs. I am fixing to buy my first 1pc suit and was wondering if any one had any suggestions on particular brand that they were partial to or anything. I am leaning towards an A* octane suit but I am not sure. So, any suggestions?
For the money you'll put up for an A* you can probably get one from TILT or DrummerDave and it will be custom fitted.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
Thanks for the link, i have pm'd but would still like some reviews from different people.
As for a review, I have a TILT suit and so does Looshia and we're both very happy with the fit, craftsmanship, price and customer service.

With regards to Spartan Leathers, I know Dave personally and have heard from several people that his products are high quality also. I was originally intending to buy from him but he wasn't quite up and running yet when I needed my suit. As it turned out, Daniel was able to step in and take care of us on fairly short notice. I would recommend either suit to anyone for quality and customer service.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i didn't know any better when I got my first suit and just squeezed into a Teknic 1-piece that was about 2 sizes too small. Very interested in getting the spartan leathers, just no funds yet. But when you're 6'5 and 240 it can be hard to find leathers that are tall enough without being too big around.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I spent a ton of time on this last year. I'm 6'3", 200 lbs with a 36" inseam (think Tyrannosaurs Rex). I got a size 46 AGV for about $350 and had Amanda at SpeedSport Motorcycle Leather Repair (see link below) alter it for about $200. If length's an issue for you like it was for me you'll get more room with a two-piece design.

I made a lot of first-time decisions last year getting set up for track days. If I had one 'do-over' I'd probably get a custom suit.

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/speedsportleathers/AFrontPage.html

·
Registered
272 Posts
Pics of said suit? His site doesnt really have the greatest quality pictures of his work.

You have pm reply

Thanks for the review on the suits, i am have sent dave a pm and work on some other stuff with other vendors. Thanks alot guys
Yeah, his website is pretty bad, but I can't say enough good things about him. You call him up and directly talk to the guy who's building your suit, which is priceless. I'm not a big guy, just tall so I couldn't get any of the off the rack suits to fit well. Bill delivered in spades. There's pics on this thread:

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=61564

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bills work looks amazing, but those spartan leathers are calling my name right now, they look amazing. If you dont mind me asking, how much did your suit from bill cost?

·
Registered
272 Posts
$1200. I think they're a bit cheaper if you get a single color.

Wow, those Spartan suits are crazy inexpensive and look to be decently made, but he outsources the production to Pakistan. Bill will work with you to make sure you're happy and is glad to make alterations if you're not. Try getting the Pakistani suit maker on the phone!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I bought Suzuki Replica full leathers from Spartan. Not sure if they still have them but at the time they were an absolute bargain and great customer service, not to mention an SVR member. BTW I am 6'4" / 210lbs. Fits great. I just happen to be the average off the rack size :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
A lot of your more inexpensive suits are made in Pakistan. Unless you're willing to spend more money to buy a suit from guys that are domestic like Barnacle Bill they will probably be making the transatlantic journey. It's more about who you buy the inexpensive suits from and their relationship with the factory in Pakistan. My Fieldsheer was from Pakistan, but Im not worried about whether or not the 1 year warranty will be honored. From the looks of the existing customers for the Spartan and Tilt suits, customer service doesnt appear to be an issue either.

BTW, to the OP. Look into the Fieldsheer Radar suit. It's got more of a short fat guy cut. Im 5'9 and the inseam of the 48 was maybe 1" too long (I exchanged for a 46) so a 50 might be a pretty close fit for you. The fitting reference from NE is pretty close to how the suit fits.

http://www.newenough.com/protective...eer/radar_two_piece_motorcycle_race_suit.html

Motoxoutlet.com in UT sells these for under $400 shipped (enter code" sale" during checkout).

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm not saying anything about the quality of transatlantic suits and I'm sure Spartan has great customer service. I'm just saying that talking directly to the guy who is putting thread through leather on your suit and being able to send it back to the same guy for repairs and alterations is well worth the extra money to me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts