Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still looking for an SV650S and was wondering if anyone has installed a big bore kit, what size was it, did it hamper reliability, and was it worth it. did it increase the bottom end grunt,

Chet
anyone in PA have a good deal on a used 2002 or 03 email me!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've put in a 700kit.
I haven't had the bike out yet because of my racing accident, so only financial info avaible.

It's not a finacial logical decision for most. If you have a 650 that is running I'd say leave it alone. If you have a 650 that needs engine work, well maybe but, make sure you check all the costs.

If you've spung a rod bearing on the crank end (common result of oil starvation). You will need: Crank, rods (they go out of round), bearings, gaskets.

A crank is going to cost ~ $800cdn, rods will cost between $100-$300cdn depending on what brand. Bearings and gaskets are about $100cdn.
That put's you at $1000 in parts just go back to stock. If you do cams and big-bore on top of the repair and put high end rods in your now up to about $3500 in parts alone.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 700 cc kit on my bike. The only real problem i have with it is that it acts like it is a carbed bike. It is a pain to start (i have to twist the throttle a few times). Yes i have a PC III with a custom map.

·
Registered
81 Posts
why the hard starting/acts like a carbed engine?? I have thought about a kit from just south of me in Washinton state. it is a 744cc kit abot $1200 cdn just for parts. Claimed to bring the engine to 85hp but a race 100hp kit is also available but many more parts are needed. It is either going to be a winter project or will wait until the engine needs some work and slip it on then. kinda tapped out right now for that kinda work,
Les

·
Registered
29 Posts
jaycee said:
I have a 700 cc kit on my bike.  The only real problem i have with it is that it acts like it is a carbed bike.  It is a pain to start (i have to twist the throttle a few times).  Yes i have a PC III with a custom map.
I have a 1397 kit in my Busa - my c/r is up 2.5 over stock and i had to go to a higher CCA battery. Go to www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.com and look up the stock dimensions of your battery and just find one similar with about 80-100 more CCA's.. ;)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MountindewSV said:
How reliability is the 700 kit? How much horse power gain dose the 700 kit give you to the rear wheel?
depends how you built motor with 700 cc pistons.it can be from 75-95hp.
over 85 is risk.you can get 85 without going to 700cc.

·
Registered
81 Posts
what are you doing to get 85hp without big bore kit? is this on 2nd gen? And I have heard that over 85hp gets into more possible problems unless you are willing to spend the $$ and rebuild often.Let me know what mods can get upto 85 tho.
thanks,
Les

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pistons,cams,heads,carbs/throttle bodies,....
I have my own combination of parts and mods which is not for public forums.
biggest mod is to your pocket,about $3k. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey TWF
Isn't change the pistone, cams, heads, carb/throttle bodies basicly the makeing of a big bore kit? Im looking to get 90 horsepower from the rear wheel. Dose 90rwhp make the engine unreliability on a 03 + Sv650? What would you have to do to get 90rwhp out of the Sv650s engine? or is it more reliable to just stick with the 85rwhp? Would you do a big bore kit or the pistone, cams, heads, carb/throtte bodies? which is more reliable? are you guys including exhaust and air filter with the number you gain rwhp?

Sorry it took so long to repond, I forgot I posted something in this part of the riders board.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you can change piston without changing bore,or go 1mm over or 2mm over....etc.
you have to overbore to get 90+hp.
if you go in tread about exhaust you will see dyno run of my bike.it makes 85hp and running pump gas.if I would use U4 fuel it would be close to or 90hp.
that motor is very mild build,I use as much of stock parts as posible.I like to keep cost of building motor under $3k.that does not include exhaust.it is flatslides and internal motor parts/work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey TWF
If you don't mind me asking what have you done to your bike to get it up to 85rwhp? Your very close to 90rwhp what made you stop at 85rwhp?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MountindewSV said:
Your very close to 90rwhp what made you stop at 85rwhp?
I had motors making over 90 hp.I did not stop,I went backwards.
after 85 you start losing midrange.top end is worthless on race track.believe it or not you go faster with less.
80-85 is ideal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
shit apparnetly we should all go and talk to K.C.!! He's got 500's making 80 some odd hp ;D :-*

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
joe said:
s**t apparnetly we should all go and talk to K.C.!! He's got 500's making 80 some odd hp ;D :-*
it would be easier if you just take your bike there for dyno run,I am sure it will be as powerfull ;D

·
Registered
19 Posts
!!! :D I should totally take the AND down there before I sell it and then provide that dyno sheet to the new buyer! "For Sale: custom AND chassis with 72hp EX500 engine..." ;D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Alright, then Im sticking with 85 because I want to keep the midrangs. I want to keep the power-carve as close as stock as I can, I just want to add power to it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
isn't that why we buy SV's is for the midrange. with the company that I have inquired they exchange heads and a few parts to go with and boom done deal. thro in a thinner head gasket and I think that is it. check out this site that I am thinking of for the 744cc and let me know what you think or have dealt with.
www.zlockracing.com
thanks for the other info as to what mods others have done.what throttle bodies have you gone to? I would be very happy with the 85 for my ride.
Les

1 - 18 of 18 Posts