Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else out there ride road bikes religously, or am I the only one. My road biking buddies make fun of all of my motorcycle stuff, and my motorcycle friends make fun of my spandex and such.

I love both, can't we all just get along! ;)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i have a roadbike. did a couple long distance rides (nyc to boston and nyc to dc). haven't touched the bike in about 2 years since i buried the front wheel in some railroad tracks and went flying over the handlebars.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wrecked pretty bad last year tyrying to race a ******* truck that cut me off on a backroad. 32mph on a flat single lane into a 15mph turn. I thought I could dive in low and cut him off. Instead I did a lowside caused by some gravel and slid about 40 feet across pavement in spandex. My @ss was meat and the pavement literally burned through my gloves and tore up my left palm really bad. Riding the 10ish miles back to where I started sucked. However I did learn a good lesson that I apply to riding anything with 2 wheels.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i used to ride religiously before i got the motorcycle. i did a couple big rides from norfolk to dc and raleigh to dc.

this year i am getting back into it because a friend talked me into doing a triathlon.

to be honest, i've felt kind of bad not riding my bicycle more. it's almost like i'm neglecting a kid. technically it was my baby before my sv was.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate how when I get back on my bike after riding my sv my balance is screwed up for about 20 minutes, plus the fact that my road bike weighs like 17 lbs as compared to 300+ sv. A little different control issues.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
rocklax said:
I hate how when I get back on my bike after riding my sv my balance is screwed up for about 20 minutes, plus the fact that my road bike weighs like 17 lbs as compared to 300+ sv.  A little different control issues.
not to mention that i dont go anywhere when i twist the handlebar on the bike. or strain the legs trying to pedal the rearsets

·
Registered
397 Posts
I used to practice endurance road-biking until I got my first motorbike. My personal record was 90miles in 12 hours, without a break. That season I put over a 1000 miles on my Minelli. I haven't touched it in the last two years, though, and I am not in that kind of shape anymore :(

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I've ridden and raced mountain bikes and road bikes for a while now. Nothing super-serious, just for fun and the pain. :)

I went into the shop one day dressed for cold weather on my road bike (tights, the whole bit) - and an attempt was made to summarily ridicule me. However - as one guy put it after several weeks of trying to get my goat - "it's no fun making fun of you - you just don't give a sh!t what we say."

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've been a cyclist for the last 20+ years.   Started out racing BMX when I was in middle/high school... graduated to mountain bike racing/riding in college... and now do both road and mountain for fun (and still play at the local BMX track now and then).

My first, and only other motorcycle was a '91 125 kawasaki dirt bike that I learned the basics on back in '99.   My '06 SV650 is my first street bike.  I must say that I hopped on my Klein road bike that I've had for 4+ yrs a week or so ago and it sure felt strange after just getting used to riding the SV.   But within a few minutes, it felt natural again.  

I used to be, and part of me still is, a car guy.  But I've really come to quickly appreciate the efficiency of motorcycles, and anything with 2 wheels for that matter.   Something about getting 40-50 mpg (or infinite mpg on a bicycle), while having fun and realizing that it actually takes some skill to get from point A to point B has me hooked.   Whether on my bicycle or motorcycle, I find myself thinking about all the people around me in their cars/trucks that don't know what they're missing.......

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Ruefus said:
I went into the shop one day dressed for cold weather on my road bike (tights, the whole bit) - and an attempt was made to summarily ridicule me. However - as one guy put it after several weeks of trying to get my goat - "it's no fun making fun of you - you just don't give a sh!t what we say."
Obviously, Ruefus has read that classic: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Sales ;D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stranger said:
yeah. i just brought the trainer upstairs the other day. i'm going to set that up and see if i can get my increasingly fat ass on there over the winter
I stopped working out when I traveled home to mom and dad's for a few days of work in Dec, didn't start again till last week. In about a month I put on 14lbs. Now I can't even ride my bicycle because at this weight I refuse to put on the "outfit", secondly both of my motorcycle jackets have become "tight" in all the wrong places.

So now I have to work out, to get into shape to work out. Plus even fit into my motorcycle gear.

Wow, what a sad life I lead. :eek:

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Personally, I think road bicycling is the most dangerous activity out there, you are underpowered, hard to see, completely vulnerable from the rear, and stubbornly think you are part of traffic flow. Drop the spandex, pull on the leather. I have tons of off road bicyicle experience (BMX, N.C. , Moab, Snowshoe DH) but I would never ride on the street in my right mind, you dont have even a small chance in a collision, at least with a throttle, you can get out of the way, and ride faster than the flow of traffic. Basically I contend that street motorcycling is safer that street bicycling. IMO.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Morpheous said:
Personally, I think road bicycling is the most dangerous activity out there, you are underpowered, hard to see, completely vulnerable from the rear, and stubbornly think you are part of traffic flow.  Drop the spandex, pull on the leather. I have tons of off road bicyicle experience (BMX, N.C. , Moab, Snowshoe DH) but I would never ride on the street in my right mind, you dont have even a small chance in a collision, at least with a throttle, you can get out of the way, and ride faster than the flow of traffic. Basically I contend that street motorcycling is safer that street bicycling. IMO.
Unless traffic is constantly moving 25mph or slower I have no delusions that I am "part of the traffic flow".  I live in a pretty rural area and know which roads are safe to ride and which I should stay away from.  I agree with a lot of what you say but also believe that riding defensively, as many do on motorcycles, will keep you safe. 

As for dropping the spandex, there is actually a following of very attrective in shape young women who dig the spandex and shaved legs.  Then they even dig you more when you come to pick them up later for the post ride get together on a motorcycle. 

My dad personally feels that all of these decesions that I have made are purely to get me laid, he may be somewhat correct.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'd agree with you Morpheous... I tend to restrict most of my road riding to low traffic roads or bike paths which Albuquerque and where I used to live in Florida have a bunch of.... there are so many huge pickup trucks around here that they wouldn't notice that they ran me over....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts