Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just yesterday, I decided I was going to go out and get a cup of coffee. It had been raining all day and it finally stopped so i figured this was my chance to ride the bike for the day. I get my gear on and head out. Turn right out of my neighborhood and come to a intersection that I have the right of way in. My street is straight through and the street that is perpindicular has stop signs, so it is essentially a 4way with only two stop signs, and I dont have one( did I confuse you yet lol). So I'm heading that way, and the maroon colored minivan starts edging out, I figure she's just trying to look further, and I move farther outside just in case, then as im getting into the intersection she starts coming, didnt even have time to think....it happened so fast, yet it felt so slow, and BAM, hit me right on the left rearset, spun the bike's butt end 90 degrees, and the did a little high side and left a nice blue streak form my fairing...

All in in everythings good, bike isnt very bad at all, bent shift lever, bent rearset on the left side, scraped upper, scraped blinker, the worst is the bent over bar end with my throttle cable stuck to it. and broken brake lever. She was very understanding, got a police report and her insurance info, and seeing as it was her fault, it whould be paid for and i should be back on my 05 in no time.

At first, I was mad at her, I couldnt understand how she didnt see me, but I realized that if there is really anyone to blame, it should be me. No,I wasn't speeding, or doing anything that I shouldnt, but the fact is that i didnt do anything, other than move to the outside of the lane, to prevent it. I'm seriously considering the advanced MSF course for my own benefit, so I can be better prepared to deal with the "crazies". Im hoping taking the couse will allow me to stop beating myself about not reacting quick enough.

Anyways, just wanted to share my story of my excitement :roll: the other day. Hopefully i'll keep the shiny side up next time.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Like I said before, mini-vans are evil. :evil: Glad you're OK. You're lucky to be alive, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
acediavita-- First off, glad you're ok and the bike damage is minimal. Hooray for gear!!

I read your description a couple times trying to visualize it. The minivan was on your left at a stop sign as you rolled through the intersection with no stop sign and right of way, correct?

I'm not sure having taken the ERC MSF course would have prevented this. It is my understanding that both MSF courses are based on physical skills (handling the motorcycle) rather than the intellectual black art of traffic roadcraft.

Might I suggest an excellent series of books written by David Hough under the Proficient Motorcycling taglines? One of them is broken down into short (1 page) vignettes with real and hypothetical riding situations in a PAR (Problem, Action, Result) format dealing almost exclusively with traffic and road interaction. An excellent adjunct to the many sport riding techniques books and magazine articles available.

Also, please consider adding your experience to the following thread:

http://forum.svrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=36992&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=crashes+close+calls&start=0

Learn and ride on. Again, glad you're ok... 8)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read your description a couple times trying to visualize it. The minivan was on your left at a stop sign as you rolled through the intersection with no stop sign and right of way, correct?
Yup

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's good to be honest with yourself after an incident ("What could I have done differently?") but don't beat yourself up too much over it. Isn't an accident by definition avoidable?

Glad your OK, more or less!

:)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah, I hate minivans. A few weeks ago, doing a drop in Walnut Creek, I was at the head of a left-turn lane. A minivan was behind me, I was on the right side of the lane. Light turns green, and the van just plows into me. Okay, she was going like, 8mph, but it was enough to completely rip my bike out from under me and slam it into the ground.

I mean, she saw me when she stopped at the light (i hope), so I dont know how she decided that running into me would be a good idea.

Since then I've gotten a lot more careful about turning lanes... even though I was in gear, ready to go, etc, I guess I was too focused on waiting for the green, and not on the van coming up behind me. Who knows.

·
Registered
127 Posts
that sucks man, but im glad your ok.

i wonder...if you had avoided her, i bet she would have been pissed off at you for...god only knows what reason. damn soccer moms. :roll:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Two words: headlight modulator.

Even so, assume you're still invisible. Not to second guess, but I (would like to think) that I would have already been on the brakes before she made her definitive move. Glad you're OK.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The only thing about that is, from what it sounds like, she didn't pull out until you were already in front of her....so instead of slowin down, the proper course of action would have been to keep her in the corner of your eye, and when you saw her pulling out straight into your side, you could have blipped the throttle and she would have missed you (braking at that moment would have only gotten you run straight over!)

The only other thing to do would have been to slow way down when you saw her edging out and make sure she saw you, but you can't count on someone seeing you and not just looking right through you, either....and you can't always give up the right of way at every intersection by stopping and letting them in (that's not entirely legal or safe either what with rear-enders and what not).

So, the only thing to do is just slow down, keep your eye on her, and be prepared for evasive action...that's really the best thing to do at all times, anyhow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Minivans are the BANE OF THE DRIVING EXPRERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just about every close encounter I've had on a bike, or a car for that matter, has involved someone piloting either a minivan or an SUV, usually the former. It is usually a soccer mom on a cell phone who's head I would love to crack open with a bat, or similar implement, because THEY DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT IS HAPPENING ON THE ROAD AROUND THEM!!! I have an elementary school down the street from me. I can't tell you how many times I've almost gotten killed on my bike, because of some mom dropping off her spawn at school, and making a left right in front of me. The best part is when I bleep my horn at the offending soccer mom in her minivan and she starts yelling at me. Someday I am going to jail, because one day I will get off my bike, yank the bitch out of her minivan, and end her existence before she ends mine!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts