Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted on the 99-02 tech board a couple days ago about problems encountered after replacing my broken shift lever. I had ridden for months with the "drill hole install bolt fix" with no problems, but got tired of how it looked. I ordered one of the 35 buck shifters that you see all the time on ebay. It looked great but never worked right. I would either have 1 and 2nd gears only or it would go all the way to 6th and then only downshift to 5th. I took the thing off and reinstalled a couple of times. I adjusted linkage and clutch. Nothing worked. Finally put the old one back on and it shifts like butter! Go figure. I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with aftermarket levers or if I just got a bad one?

·
Registered
266 Posts
???????

WTF it only goes up and down, how could that happen????????

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I got one of the gold ones for my 2000 a while back...
It was made by Emgo and worked fine. The ball joint was Chineese quality and could be easily pulled apart by hand but it held up great all the way up until it got stolen...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DonnieJ.... I think this was an emgo. It looked bulkier than the stock unit. Maybe they sent wrong shifter. I'm just glad the tranny wasn't trashed.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
There's only 2 machined parts on the shifter... the peg hole and the ball joint, one is at fault.

A messed up shifter can't harm your tranny unless you try to teach your pet Donkey Kong how to ride on it while he's pissed...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mine works!

chilihead said:
I posted on the 99-02 tech board a couple days ago about problems encountered after replacing my broken shift lever. I had ridden for months with the "drill hole install bolt fix" with no problems, but got tired of how it looked. I ordered one of the 35 buck shifters that you see all the time on ebay. It looked great but never worked right. I would either have 1 and 2nd gears only or it would go all the way to 6th and then only downshift to 5th. I took the thing off and reinstalled a couple of times. I adjusted linkage and clutch. Nothing worked. Finally put the old one back on and it shifts like butter! Go figure. I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with aftermarket levers or if I just got a bad one?

I have the $35 shift assembly (I think it's from the clutchlevers.com company). It definately feels more cheaply made than the OEM one but I have a good 7,000 miles or so on mine with no problems. You must have gotten a defective one.

-josh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts