Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hard time putting the air box back on my first gen. it is a stock box with a k&n.
Should i put the carb boots on and slide the air box on thoes or
do it all in 1 peice and tighten the screws after.
who has found what way easier.
i find both ways being a rear pita...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I leave the boots on the airbox, hook it over the front carb and stretch it over the rear. With the filter out, you can reach down through the airbox to help it along a little. It takes some fiddling but once it hits the sweet spot it slides right on.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
With the filter out, attaching the boots to the carbs or the airbox first is a matter of preference.

Personally - I tend to leave the boots on the carbs, attach the front and then work the rear on. Again - with the filter out, you can feel when the boot is completely seated. I prefer the absolute certainty this method affords. Although fitting them on to the carbs isn't THAT much different.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys i never took the filter out thats why imm having such a hard time.
i never had such a hard time putting an air box on a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
With the filter out, put the boots into the air box. Make sure you get the lip on the boot seated around the ledge inside the airbox. With the lip properly seated the boots won't come off next time you take the airbox off.

The boots and clamps are keyed so they only go on one way, make sure you line the notches up so they're on properly.

With the clamps real loose, wiggle the box on with a gentle side-to-side motion seating the front cylinder first but with the rear close to being on. After the front is seated, seat the rear, put your hand in the air box and wiggle front to back to make sure they're both seated. Use a little flashlight and get a good look to see if both boots are properly seated around the carbs.

A really long #2 phillips helps to tighten the fornt cylinder.
You can use automotive tire shine stuff to lube the boots up if you're having a really tough time.
Use starting fluid or carb cleaner and spray around the boots and carbs to check for air leaks. If there's a leak, the carbs will suck in the carb cleaner and the engine will dramatically pick up RPM's.

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
Since there always seems to be a bit of oil on the inside of the airbox anyway, use a bit of it to lube up the boots- the airbox will slide over 'em much more easily.

Bill

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
heh i always thought the airbox-carb attachment was kind of an irritating design. i have no suggestions to offer that hasn't already been stated, just that it's a bit of an aggrivating task so don't feel bad that you're having a hard time with it.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys
i sometimes dont think enough.
after i took the filter off the air box went right on.
sitting here tring to do it with the filter in the box.
:bangs head against wall smillie face:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts