Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need some help figuring out the best way to do this. I'm going to drain my coolant and replace it with fresh, but it seems that the drain point (according to the manual) is the bolt located on the water pump housing. Well its very convenient to get to, but it seems like its going to make a mess by running down the side of the housing since it sits sideways rather than downwards like an oil drain plug. Is there a better place to drain from or a way to catch what is certainly going to run down the side of my engine? Should I just just "man up" and accept the coolant on my engine and floor? Who invented liquid soap and why?... C'mon people, step up and point out what obvious answer I'm missing :)

-Brandon

Picture of drain plug:

·
Registered
30 Posts
lean the bike over to that side and put a funnel in the mouth of a 1 litre jug. You can get it to fit nicely under the drain plug and in the little gap over the water pump. It will drain out as soon as you loosen the rad cap. If you want to get it all out you'll need to remove the rad hose on that side and drain the rest of it

·
Registered
381 Posts
Don't worry, when you crack the coolant drain plug the coolant flows out at a very high rate just be ready to catch it with a big bucket, very little will get on the motor.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
It comes out fast, and can be a little messy but not a huge deal. Just remember to clean up afterward so Rover doesn't lick up the koolaid....

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
does anyone have any info on a complete drain like to drain the block?....does the drain plg do that also or should i just do the drain it, run it, drain it run it routine?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just flushed mine with water and started it up then repeated, it ran clear pretty quick, I don't think much hides down in the system really.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts