Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my poor bike got knocked over by a car in a parking lot the other day and considering an Arai Corsair got crushed under the bike, that makes it worthy of an insurance claim considering the rest of the parts that got scratched, cracked or otherwise mangled. Glad I had Motosliders or I would have ended up with a dented fuel tank and probably a damaged radiator. The sliders really kept the damage down to cosmetic stuff except for a busted shifter and bent clutch lever.

I want to use this insurance claim as an opportunity to get a few more aftermarket parts instead of OEM (IE: Fender Eliminator, nice bar end mirrors, LED turn signals, etc). I figure if I take the parts/labor money from the insurance company, buy the parts and do the work myself I'll come out ahead when all the dust settles. Plus, I like tinkering with my bike anyway.

However, my insurance company wants me to take my bike to a repair shop of my choosing and get an estimate before their adjustor will look at the bike. If I take it to a shop, am I committed to them at that point or can I use them for the estimate and then take the insurance money? I'd even pay the shop for their hour to do the estimate, but I really want to use the money differently than OEM replacement parts.

Insurer is State Farm if that makes any difference...

Anyone have any experience with a similar scenario?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Insco should just cut you a check for what it would cost to return your bike to the way it was. You could spend it on groceries after that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you get an estimate from a shop you are in no way obligated to use them for the repair. They appreciate if you do use them, but you don't have to. When someone ran into my car, I went to a few body shops that gave out free estimates and turned those estimates into my insurance company. My insurance company then just mailed me a check to cover the cheapest estimate. Some insurance does it like that, but some companies just pay the bill after the repairs are done. I guess you should just call and ask whether they pay you up front or after the repairs.

Off topic (and maybe stupid) question, how did you lower your bike? You can pm me so it doesn't clog up the thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts