Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 SV650S. This is my first bike and I'm loving every minute when I'm riding it. Being a noob to the bike lifestyle, I'm really happy for a site like this...it's very informative. My question is regarding tires. What is the general opinion about the stock Metzler MEz4? What tire would you guys recommend as a great ultra high performance street tire? Thanks for the help...I really appreciate it! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
best sport tire on the market are the michelin pilot powers... they rock. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
+2


Jimdaddy is the post whore from hell!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
wonderjosh said:
best sport tire on the market are the michelin pilot powers... they rock. :D
+1 they do rock
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
the best tire depends on what kind of riding your planning on doing

tires in SV sizes come in 3 different flavors
supersport
sport
sport touring

every year, there are advances in tire/rubber technology, Sv.s come stock with sport touring tires that are more than adequate for most people

Metzler has replaced the MeZ4 with the Z6 and Suzuki stopped using the MeZ4 and replaced it with the Dunlop D220, dunlops current tire in the sport touring market

current sport touring tires
Avon AzaroSt (AV45 & AV46)
BridgestoneBT20 I think due for update, it's been around a while
Continental Road Attack
Dunlop D220
Metzler Z6
Michelin Pilot Road
Pirelli Diablo Strada

Sport tires
Avon Azaro SP
Bridgest0e BT10
Continental Force
Dunlop D208
Mezler Sportec M1
Michelin Pilot Power
Pirelli Diablo

SuperSport tires
Avon Azaro SP Pro
Bridgestone BT 12 ?? or 14?
Continental Force Max
Dunlop D208GP
Mezler ?
Michelin ?
Pirelli Diablo Corsa

I'm not up on all the tires, expect a supersport tire to last 1500-2500 miles or less , sport tires 3000-5000 ± miles
sport touring tires 8000-13000 miles

supersport tires are usually very shallow tread, and not great in the rain
sport touring tirses have deeper dreads and are the best in the rain with the exception of supersport rain tires like the Avon Extreme Rain or Pirelli MTR60 but you can melt them FAST on dry pavement

I've tried a lot of tires and settled on Avon Azaro ST's, I get 10,000-13,000 miles per set, dont get a flat spot in center from highway riding or scalloping of the front tire, I have found them to be the best all around tire, not really best at anything , in winter I run Pirelli MTR60s but most peeps don't ride in winter like I do. I have worn a set out in less than 1000 miles but winter I get 3,500-4000 miles

my experience with dunlops is lack of braking traction and my experience with all the tires I have tried except avons is flat spotting the rear and scalloping in the front, they are all great when new, but they don't stay new forever

if your a newbie to riding, I recommend a sport touring tire
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
I'm with RandyO, I doubt you need an "ultra high performance" tire if it's you first bike.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,691 Posts
NOsquid said:
I'm with RandyO, I doubt you need an "ultra high performance" tire if it's you first bike.
yeah maybe for your 2nd or 3rd set but I'd say the Metzeler Z6 will give you all you need to drive on the street with extra to spare while you learn how to ride the bike. Don't worry no one at bike night will think think they are girly tires either.

:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
480 Posts
The stockers you've got on will work for you now. The front I didn't really care for, but the rear was my longest lasting tire I've had on my bike. It was always solid- in the rain, on gravel, in dirt, where ever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,347 Posts
The Roadtecs have taken everything I've thrown at them on the street in their stride. I'd Sportecs on when i just got the bike and frankly it was a waste of sticky rubber- I got all the downsides of sticky tyres- temperature issues, not so good in bad conditions, low mileage- but I wasn't really getting any of the benefit.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate your help and advice!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
ride_naked said:
The stockers you've got on will work for you now. The front I didn't really care for, but the rear was my longest lasting tire I've had on my bike. It was always solid- in the rain, on gravel, in dirt, where ever.
I wouldn't replace worn tires with MeZ4's, they are an obsolete outdated tire only avalable as closeouts that have been sitting in a warehouse a couple years. Tires have a shelf life.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
480 Posts
RandyO said:
I wouldn't replace worn tires with MeZ4's, they are an obsolete outdated tire only avalable as closeouts that have been sitting in a warehouse a couple years. Tires have a shelf life.
I assumed he had the MEZ4's already on the bike. I agree w/you on not replacing tires w/MEZ4's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
RandyO said:
I've tried a lot of tires and settled on Avon Azaro ST's, I get 10,000-13,000 miles per set, dont get a flat spot in center from highway riding or scalloping of the front tire, I have found them to be the best all around tire, not really best at anything
I just finished off a rear Diablo for the first time. Came home from a long ride to the west coast and the center was worn thru to the steel. 6600 miles. The tire had just barely started to flat spot, hardly noticeable. Since Diablo's have no center tread to speak of, and this one didn't flat spot, I didn't even know I was near the end of it's life. I'm used to BT's which flat spot quite a bit before they wear out. I usually get a little over 8K on a BT010 rear. I got 14.5K on a BT010 front, scalloped badly but still stuck to the end...8700 on a BT012 front, which was an awesone tire (imo). So, at least in my case, the Diablo's don't flat spot either. First time I ever had a tire that didn't on the SV in 40K + miles. After I wear out another rear and the front Diablo, I might try the Azaro ST's.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
[/quote] I usually get a little over 8K on a BT010 rear. I got 14.5K on a BT010 front, scalloped badly but still stuck to the end...8700 on a BT012 front,

Steve[/quote]

I get 4000 miles from the now defunct bt-010. So what do all these mileage quotes from every one mean? Not much if you ask me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
I live in south Florida, no twisties, smooth, well paved and tire friendly roads, and lots of slow speed beach cruising mixed in with high speed highway riding, not much in between.

I guess it helps people figure out what to expect from certain brands and classes of tires based on riding styles and location. Or, it's just something to talk about on a boring night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I'm looking to change my tires soon, I currently have some diablo corsa's on there 120/70 front and 160/60 rear.

My question is should I stay w/ the same size rear or go up to a 170 I know I should stay w/ the 120 in the front. and 180 is way too much for a lil 650, IMHO am I wrong? what do you guys think??

Also this bike is my track ho and I am getting down to the edge but my question is more like if I'll lose any power from the extra meat on the rear tire??

TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
stingray said:
I live in south Florida, no twisties, smooth, well paved and tire friendly roads, and lots of slow speed beach cruising mixed in with high speed highway riding, not much in between.

I guess it helps people figure out what to expect from certain brands and classes of tires based on riding styles and location. Or, it's just something to talk about on a boring night.
Good info in your first paragraph. When someone states they got x amount of miles from one tire and nothing else I don't feel that's very helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
TrackSV650s said:
My question is should I stay w/ the same size rear or go up to a 170 I know I should stay w/ the 120 in the front. and 180 is way too much for a lil 650, IMHO am I wrong? what do you guys think??TIA
Stay with the 160 for sure. You'll just bung up your handling witha bigger tire. A 170 is designed for a 5 or 5.5" rim. Your SV has a 4.5".
As a matter of fact I feel some 160's are too wide and i would go with a 150.

FWIW,I once owned a Yamaha that had a 5.5" rim and came with a 170 Pirreli.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top