Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think the best thing about no fairings is? I just realized another one of the many things you can do on a naked that you can't do on a full faired bike. WARM YOUR HANDS AT STOPLIGHTS ON COLD MORNINGS.............

·
Registered
745 Posts
I thought the wind was a bother when I first got my bike. Now I love it and feel awkward on a fully faired bike. I think I actually like the feeling of being propelled through the air. On a fully faired bike, you just lose some of that feeling. I'd rather be on my bike that in it. Mine does have a small windscreen now, but I have it angled to the point that I have to be in a full tuck for it to actually do anything about the wind. I like it that way and probably won't ever change it. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like feeling the wind too. This may sound stupid but it helps me control my speed. If I didn't feel that wind it would be very easy to cruise everywhere doing 90 but as soon as I feel that wind beating me up I know I'm at cruising speed of 65 which is perfect on the roads down here.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like that the frame and mechanics show it makes my bike look sturdy, rough, tough and not like a plastic toy that i have to wind up each moring.

G

·
Ivan said:
Don't have to pay thousands of dollars every time I drop the bike.
You know what's odd about your comment? I have a JMV lower fairing on my bike.. some drunk chick just kicked it over onto the clutch side. Every single fairing 'except' my lower fairing was damaged.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Kevin said:
What do you think the best thing about no fairings is? I just realized another one of the many things you can do on a naked that you can't do on a full faired bike. WARM YOUR HANDS AT STOPLIGHTS ON COLD MORNINGS.............
Who says you have to wait for the stoplights? I just grab the radiator hoses and my gloves are nice and toasty in a matter of seconds :).

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AvidSV650Rider said:
Who says you have to wait for the stoplights?  I just grab the radiator hoses and my gloves are nice and toasty in a matter of seconds :).
I do too. Where do you grab with the left hand?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
The best thing about lacking fairings is the dramatic decrease in costs from a wreck. The second best thing is people dont associate me with the "sportbikerz" but rather as a loner dude that is just weird and should be left alone :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
evilbologna said:
The best thing about lacking fairings is the dramatic decrease in costs from a wreck. The second best thing is people dont associate me with the "sportbikerz" but rather as a loner dude that is just weird and should be left alone :)
+1 True. Partially why I have grown to like my bike so much. In the past 6 months I have only seen, lets see here, 1 other naked SV. And, you do seem a little weird so the bike fits ya.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Ivan said:
Don't have to pay thousands of dollars every time I drop the bike.
+1 my bike has been down 3 times 2 of my own doings and one of my friends both my times together only cost maybe 20 bux to fix what was broke.  and my friend still owes me money for a new tail and getting the part of the sub frame where the grab rail bolts on straightened.  but considering if it was a full faired bike he'd probally owe me $1,000+ just for the plastics,  i think i'll stay with my nekkid.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
evilbologna said:
another valid point i forgot about. i think riding a nakid you can drift inbetween crouds easier. one day (probally my longest riding day yet) i started out around 8-9 in the morning with a bunch of harley guys got back around 4-5 in the afternoon. called up my other friend on a street fighter. we went out hammered the twisties till it got dark. then i wen't and fooled around in some empty parking lots with a bunch of stunters my friend knows until maybe 1-2 in the morning. god was i dead when i got home. i'd say it was probally a 3-400 mile day

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
B.a. said:
then i wen't and fooled around in some empty parking lots with a bunch of stunters my friend knows until maybe 1-2 in the morning.  god was i dead when i got home. 
I just fool around with chicks, stunta's might give ya STDs.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
evilbologna said:
I just fool around with chicks, stunta's might give ya STDs.
you know what i meant jerk. :p

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
So basically you don't have fairings so you can stunt and crash your bike more and not have to pay for new plastics!?!?! Well damn, why didn't anyone tell me this before I bought an S model!!! ::)

And the comment about threading through a crowd easier with no fairings is about the most ignorant thing I've heard today. What a load... like fairings make your bike 10-feet wider or something. Good grief people, get real. Your sliders will stick out farther than any fairing ever could. You gonna take those off too?

There is no practical reason for not having fairings. Its simply a subjective choice. If worrying about crash damage is such a huge deciding factor for you, then frankly you need to focus more on your riding skills because you probably suck at keeping the thing upright. Heat is a non-issue unless your bike is so poorly maintained that your have to keep moving at 40mph+ to keep you engine from blowing up. Fairings are aerodynamically superior to a naked bike, but on the street its not a big enough difference to matter. Insurance is no different either. My insurance would be exactly the same whether I ride an SV or an SVS. I know because I checked it out with my insurance company before I bought my bike.

It boils down to only one thing, personal preference. There are tons of fully faired bikes that aren't a dime a dozen, and the faired SV is very much one of them.

If you guys like the look of your bike without fairings that's cool. But don't sit here trying to fantasize practical reasons that non-faired bikes are somehow better than faired bikes. That's BS on a stick.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I like feeling the wind. It feels more real I guess
Cheaper to fix
Doesn't look like a sportbike

1 - 20 of 51 Posts