Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to convert rear shock and at 250 lbs I need fork springs but don't know the best to use. Seen people putting GSXR rears but idk which to use. Have no idea about the fork springs.

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
For years the gold standard was a Penske triple clicker rear shock. Any swap out of another bike would be inferior to the Penske which can be tuned to both your weight and your style of riding. I have a double clicker Penske on my SV.

I'm not sure what the current hot setup for front ends is, but I am running Sonic Springs and Gold Valve Emulators and they have been great once dialed in with the right weight fork oil.

My friends with racier, more expensive bikes all comment how easy it is to ride my SV fast. They feel comfortable on it right away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you start with just springs and heavier oil any of the spring suppliers can easily match spring rates to your weight. I just put in some springs from Sonic for my S2 and they specified .80 kg springs with 15 wt. oil for my weight of 215 lbs.
I declined the emulators for now. Once I take a few rides I may or may not upgrade to emulators.
For the rear I'm going to try a GSXR 750 shock and spring that I bought from Ebay. Anything should be an improvement over my worn out stocker.
I enjoy riding on twisty mountain roads but my days of dragging the pegs and hanging off are but a fond memor:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I took a good shakedown ride after installing the Sonic .80 kg springs and 15w fork oil. 60 miles of mountain roads and I can say the front end is much improved. Spring rate seems right whereas it was way too soft before. The damping is less harsh but more controlled. Absolutely worthwhile.
For the rear I've decided to pass on the GSXR shock and spring for something better.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I'm about the same weight and have a 2005 that I built for budget, beginner track duty. Being that I was in a budget, I couldn't afford a rear shock like a Penske, I went with a stock shock off of a ZX14 that I got off of ebay for under $100. It's most certainly not anywhere close to a proper and more expensive shock, I'm sure of that, however it's sprung for my weight and the compression and rebound are both adjustable. I paired this with a Traxxion Dynamics AR-25 Rod Damper kit, that's tuned to my weight and riding style and it relatively affordable at about $400. So far, so good. Again, I realize this isn't the "best" solution, but it strikes a balance between performance and cost that I can afford to live with.

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
are you asking BEST or BEST UNDER $$$?
cause best is going to be ak20 or other cartridge internal swap for the front (sprung and valved to your weight and riding style)
and then penske, ktech, or ohlins rear.

the cheapest setup i'd bother with is sonic springs, racetech goldvalves, drilled/brazed rods, and something like a ohlins su323 or fox in the rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts