Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple annoying scratches on my gas tank, left from my magnetic tank bag (definitely wearing a backpack from now on, d'oh). What would be a good type of polish/abrasive/etc to get them out (or at least make them less apparent)?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Kind of a different subject, but a trick to making your wax job last longer is to do a coat of carnuba followed by a coat of synthetic (I prefer Mequiar's NXT). This will also hide the scratches longer...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Kind of a different subject, but a trick to making your wax job last longer is to do a coat of carnuba followed by a coat of synthetic (I prefer Mequiar's NXT). This will also hide the scratches longer...
to each their own but i believe that to be backwards... i have always used rubbing compound until satisfied, then a few coats of a good polish/wax like "Super Bright", followed by a few coats of carnuba wax for smoothness and extra shine.

of course, ive never really detailed a bike tho

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
to each their own but i believe that to be backwards... i have always used rubbing compound until satisfied, then a few coats of a good polish/wax like "Super Bright", followed by a few coats of carnuba wax for smoothness and extra shine.

of course, ive never really detailed a bike tho
Same order as what you've done, but add a good-quality synthetic wax on top of the carnuba. The synthetic wax has very good weather characteristics, where the carnuba (as you stated) has very good luster.

Of course, using a clay bar before any of this will make it 10x better (assuming you haven't clayed it in a while).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I went over the paint on mine over the weekend. Mine needed to be clayed before I could even think about polishing out the scratches. I've seen too many instances of guys polishing out a scratch without cleaning the clear coat, and getting worse swirl marks than the original scratch!!

Here's my routine..
Clay bar, NuFinish Scratch Doctor for visible surface scratches, 3m Performance finish to polish, then a couple coats of wax to protect it all. Has a great deep shine to it now!!

Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
108 Posts
i really like plexus. seems to hide a lot of the scratches. kind of spendy though.

Here's my routine..
Clay bar, NuFinish Scratch Doctor for visible surface scratches, 3m Performance finish to polish, then a couple coats of wax to protect it all. Has a great deep shine to it now!!
Uhmm I live the following routine if I could only figure what what is Clay Bar. I will track down all 3 ingredients mentioned here...

Where can I get PLEXUS locally ?

My bike was well preserved but the previous owner was not too delicate about scratching the bike, there are all tiny little scratches but they are annoying...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts