Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ordering some SM type one bars today and would like to get a set of black super low profile mirrors. I would even get a set of bar end mirrors but I have never seen a pair that I thought worked very well. Low, black, and works well, that's what I want. I have looked around and not found what I wanted so I thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks Bill

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
B.C. said:
  I am ordering some SM type one bars today and would like to get a set of black super low profile mirrors. I would even get a set of bar end mirrors but I have never seen a pair that I thought worked very well. Low, black, and works well, that's what I want.  I have looked around and not found what I wanted so I thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks Bill
napoleon bar ends, you can adjust them below the bars if you like, can't get much lower profile than that

·
Registered
156 Posts
Check out my mirrors in my sig. They right tho....great view of your armpits.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Type 1 bars with mirrors from a KTM Duke. i love the way these look on the bike, AND most importanly, i can actually see beyond my elbows.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OOHHHHHHH! Those KTM mirrors do look cool. I just ordered some Napoleon black or mirrors short stalk from hole shot. I suspect I will have a great view of my armpits and if thats true I will be getting those. Hey I also ordered a set of type one bars from SM today. How hard was the switch??? I have not done a bar switch before. Thanks for any tips .

·
Registered
720 Posts
I am using a bicycle bar-end mirror, it was 10 bucks and works great

·
Registered
536 Posts
B.C. said:
OOHHHHHHH! Those KTM mirrors do look cool. I just ordered some Napoleon black or mirrors short stalk from hole shot. I suspect I will have a great view of my armpits and if thats true I will be getting those. Hey I also ordered a set of type one bars from SM today. How hard was the switch??? I have not done a bar switch before. Thanks for any tips .
Bar switch is a snap. I just switched to a flat drag bar this weekend. The only potential issue: I don't know if the SM bars have holes drilled for the switchpods. If so, you're golden. If not, just dremel or file them off like I had to. No sweat. Takes 15 minutes. The only potentially challenging part is getting your left handgrip off w/o destroying it, and then getting it on the new bars. To do that, pry it a little way up from the bar (just a bit) with a flathead screwdriver, and squirt some aerosol hairspray up between the bar and the grip. Then take the screwdriver out and just work the grip back and forth. It should slip right off in about 30 seconds. Put a little shot in the grip as you go to put it on the new bar, and it will slide right on, and then stick in place.

Many thanks to yellow650 for showing me this trick last weekend, BTW.

Oh, and as for mirrors, I would recommend against the EMGO bar-enders. Blech. Glass quality is terrible. I put on a pair of Third Eye bar end mirrors this weekend (made for bikes - I think they're the same ones Storz has), and they're great. Got 'em from Lickton bikes online, about $25 a pair shipped.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey good tip. I appreciate that. I get the bike Fri. and the bars should be here tomorow. I promised myself to ride at least 500miles before I switch them so I will probable do it next weekend. Thanks again and if you think of any other tricks I am all ears.

Bill

·
Registered
536 Posts
Good idea to get a feel for the bike before you switch. Changing from stock to the universal drag bar and raising my forks to 10mm above the top triple made it feel like a whole new bike. I feel a lot more connected to what the front wheel is doing, and I find myself really wanting to flog the bike a lot harder (which may be a bad thing from a driving record standpoint ... :D)

·
Registered
176 Posts
e lo said:
Bar switch is a snap. I just switched to a flat drag bar this weekend. The only potential issue: I don't know if the SM bars have holes drilled for the switchpods. If so, you're golden. If not, just dremel or file them off like I had to. No sweat. Takes 15 minutes. The only potentially challenging part is getting your left handgrip off w/o destroying it, and then getting it on the new bars. To do that, pry it a little way up from the bar (just a bit) with a flathead screwdriver, and squirt some aerosol hairspray up between the bar and the grip. Then take the screwdriver out and just work the grip back and forth. It should slip right off in about 30 seconds. Put a little shot in the grip as you go to put it on the new bar, and it will slide right on, and then stick in place.
SM Bars had holes drilled. Left handgrip...let me recommend rubbing alcohol - gives you all the lubrication you'll need to get the grip off, and all you'll need to put it back on, and with ease. Plus, it dries VERY quickly and leaves no residue. Definitely place a thick towel over your gas tank to minimize any chance of scratching it while you work on the bars...and keep your brake fluid reservoir right side up. I zip tied it to my gauge cluster housing IIRC.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OOOOHHHHH!
;D ;D See that's what I need I will take any help with things like keeping my brake fluid reservoir level. I don't really know anything about working on motorcycles. Is this a bad project to take on by myself??? It seems simple enough but I don't want to mess anything up for obvious reasons. I just kind assumed that you would remove the grips loosen some bolts and slide everything off the old bars. Remove the bars. Put new bars in place using proper torque specs. Replace everything. Put the grip back on and be good to go. Am I being totally naive to think I can do this??? Please help.

Bill

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think you'll be fine. Just remember to top off your blinker fluid while you're at it.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
GTKrockeTT said:
btw...i have to defer credit to orangegilly, he was the one who advised me on them after seeing them on his beautiful 1st gen.
Thanks, man. You're only the SECOND person I've seen with them. ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow that bike looks great. I just ordered some twin lights from busters. They look awesome. I ened up ordering the short stalk napoleon bars from Hole shot I hope they look half that good. Where those mirrors expensive???

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
B.C. said:
Wow that bike looks great. I just ordered some twin lights from busters. They look awesome. I ened up ordering the short stalk napoleon bars from Hole shot I hope they look half that good. Where those mirrors expensive???
Thanks. As for the mirrors, not too bad. New from a dealer, they'd probably be close to $100 for everything. I found a guy on www.ktmtalk.com that had some to sell. $50 shipped. He probably would have taken less, but that's what I offered and he took it. To me, they were worth $50 shipped. I'm sure you could probably find a better deal if you worked at it.

The guy was cool. He even sent them to be before I paid him to make sure they fit, so I didn't mind paying a little extra, I guess. Compared to new, though, I got a good deal.

·
Registered
830 Posts
e lo said:
I think you'll be fine. Just remember to top off your blinker fluid while you're at it.
nice..
glad you like the new ergos!
can't wait to see the new bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts