Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everything i have seen online is only one bulb but i want to replace both of my headlights with HID's. does anyone know of a dual kit? preferable for under $100? and if i can get that what are the best bulbs to replace my OEM's? they are just terrible. ones dead, the other only works on high beam and on the way back tonight it was going in and out. even before that they were not bright enough...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a little more than my $100 budget ;p anyone have experience with these? also i would probable have to replace the plastic headlight covers too, it would look like crap going through them ;p

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Projectors are expensive, but thats because they work pretty well.

I personally would just put some good bulbs in there and call it a day. Osram nightbreakers, sylvania silverstars, and other models are pretty bright compared to other regular bulbs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
a little more than my $100 budget ;p anyone have experience with these? also i would probable have to replace the plastic headlight covers too, it would look like crap going through them ;p
no need to replace the lenses on the original light. If your going to upgrade to hids you are always better off with projectors. Here is a thread that shows what your in for if you go the projector route.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148387&highlight=projector&page=2

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so im looking into the projector thing BUT 2 problems, one its **** expensive, and 2 i cant even find a kit for a curvy, there all for the 03+'s . also i had another "DOH!" moment. i went out and got new bulbs just some sylvania xtras and when i went to put them on i noticed that the bulb that had not been working for a while wasnt even pluged in... ya like i said DOH! i tested it just to see, and yep it worked, but i had already opened the new bulbs so i just put them in and did a quick headlight restoration... if anyone finds a kit for a curvy or a guy like pipboy who i can send mine into please post a link here.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
The kit isn't model-specific. It's made to fit the particular type of bulb housing you have, which is the same. You heat up the housing, take the plastic front off, install the projectors in the mounting holes, glue the clear front back on, and wire it up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The kit isn't model-specific. It's made to fit the particular type of bulb housing you have, which is the same. You heat up the housing, take the plastic front off, install the projectors in the mounting holes, glue the clear front back on, and wire it up.

and where do you find those clear fronts? do they come with the kit? ive noticed the 2nd gens just like the 1st gens the clear area before the install has lines and bends on the inside and then after the install its just clear and smooth on the inside.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The lenses are clear to begin with the lines and bends that you see are on the reflectirs in the back of the housings. So once thise are removed you no longer see them

·
Registered
198 Posts
Projectors are expensive, but they are awesome. And no DrPsyc, you don't have to replace the plastic headlight covers (also known as a lens). They shine right through, since they're so close to the origin, they don't effect the focus too much (helps that they're transparent).

The main thing with HID's is that HID's are designed differently than halogen bulbs, and as a result, the typical halogen reflector (the silver dish that surrounds the bulb) ends up with a poor focus and incorrect cutoff. Projectors are really a way of focusing the light from a Xenon bulb and the cutoff shield is what provides the horizontal cutoff line for the low beams. It is expensive, that's for sure, but you will not get better light out of any halogen bulb.

Having been said, most of the halogen bulbs available are not bad for night riding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts